49. The Portkey

A Merry Christmas to you all in our last chapter before Christmas arrives. 

It was early in the morning in Ron's room when Y/n felt himself being shaken awake by Mrs

It was early in the morning in Ron's room when Y/n felt himself being shaken awake by Mrs. Weasley.

Y/n groaned and rolled over. "Mrs Weasley?" He asked grogily.

"Time to wake up Y/n, dear." she whispered, moving away to wake Ron and Harry.

Y/n yawned and stretched before he slowly sat up in the bed he was staying in. He slowly looked to the side to see It was still dark outside. Ron muttered indistinctly as his mother roused him. At the foot of Harry's mattress Y/n saw two large, disheveled shapes emerging from tangles of blankets.

"Is time already?" said Fred groggily.

They dressed in silence, too sleepy to talk, then, yawning and stretching, the five of them headed downstairs into the kitchen.

Mrs. Weasley was stirring the contents of a large pot on the stove, while Mr. Weasley was sitting at the table, checking a sheaf of large parchment tickets. He looked up as the boys entered and spread his arms so that they could see his clothes more clearly. He was wearing what appeared to be a golfing sweater and a very old pair of jeans, slightly too big for him and held up with a thick leather belt.

"What d'you think?" he asked anxiously. "We're supposed to go incognito, do I look like a Muggle, Harry?"

"Yeah." said Harry smiling. "Very good."

"Excellent." Mr Weasley said happily. "Now Y/n, Your Grandmother posted your ticket to me in advance so not to worry I've got it right here."

"That is nice Mr Weasley..." Y/n said too tired to think.

"Where're Bill and Charlie and Per..Per...Percy?" said George, failing to stifle a huge yawn.

"Well, they're Apparating, aren't they?" said Mrs. Weasley, heaving the large pot over to the table and starting to ladle porridge into bowls. "So they can have a bit of a lie in."

Y/n knew that Apparating meant disappearing from one place and reappearing almost instantly in another, He understood that it was very difficult. Despite his desire to learn how he knew it would be a while before he could attempt to.

"So they're still in bed?" said Fred grumpily, pulling his bowl of porridge toward him. "Why can't we Apparate too?"

"Because you're not of age and you haven't passed your test," snapped Mrs. Weasley as she placed a bowl of porridge down in front of Y/n. "And where have those girls got to?"

She bustled out of the kitchen and they heard her climbing the stairs.

"You have to pass a test to Apparate?" Harry asked.

"Oh yes." said Mr. Weasley, tucking the tickets safely into the back pocket of his jeans. "The Department of Magical Transportation had to fine a couple of people the other day for Apparating without a license. It's not easy, Apparition, and when it's not done properly it can lead to nasty complications. This pair I'm talking about went and splinched themselves."