𝖝𝖎𝖛. A War to End

𝖝𝖎𝖛. A War to End

Maeve

BEFORE MAEVE'S CAPTURE, she spent weeks upon weeks crisscrossing the country, evading Chris' hunters and recruiting newbloods. She slept on a dirt floor, ate what they could steal, spent all her waking hours either feeling too much or too little, trying her best to stay ahead of all of her demons. She didn't handle the pressure well. She shut down and shut out her friends, her family, everyone close to her. Anyone who wanted to help or understand. Of course she regrets it. Of course she wishes she could go back to the Notch, to Matt and Weston and Cyrus and Cassian. She would do things so differently, if she ever got the chance. She would be different.

Sadly, no Silver or newblood can change the past. Her mistakes cannot be undone, forgotten, or ignored. But she can make amends. She can do something now.

She's seen Norta, but as an outlaw. From the shadows. The view from Chris' side, as part of his extensive entourage, is like the difference between night and day. She shivers beneath her coat, hands clasped together for warmth. Between the crushing power of the Salems and her manacles, she's more susceptible to the temperature. Despite her unbridled hatred for him, she finds herself inching closer to Chris, if only to take advantage of his constant heat. On his other side, Valencia does the opposite, keeping her distance. She focuses more on Governor Walsh than the king, and mutters to him occasionally, her voice low enough not to disturb Chris' speech.

"I'm humbled by your welcome, as well as your support for a young and untested king."

Chris' voice echoes, magnified by microphones and speakers. He doesn't read from any paper and somehow seems to make eye contact with every person crowding the city square below the balcony. Like everything about the king, even the location is a manipulation. They stand above hundreds, looking down, elevated beyond the reach of mere humans. The assembled people of Arborus, Governor Walsh's own capital within his domain, stare up, faces raised in a way that makes Maeve's skin itch. The Reds jostle for a better look. They're easy to pick out, standing in bunches, covered in mismatched layers, their faces flushed red with cold, while the Silver citizenry sit in furs. Black-uniformed Security officers dot the crowd, vigilant as the Sentinels posted on the balcony and neighboring rooftops.

"It is my hope that this coronation tour allows me not only a deeper understanding of my kingdom, but a deeper understanding of you. Your struggles. Your hopes. Your fears. Because I am certainly afraid." A murmur goes through the crowd below, as well as the assembled party on the balcony. Even Valencia glances sidelong at Chris, eyes narrowed over the flawless white collar of her fur wrap. "We are a kingdom on the brink, threatening to shatter under the weight of war and terrorism. It is my solemn and utmost duty to prevent this from happening, and save us from the horrors of whatever anarchy the Scarlet Guard wishes to instill. So many are dead, in Archeon, in Corvium, in Summerton. My own father and stepmother among them. My own brother corrupted by the insurrection forces. But even so, I am not alone. I have you. I have Norta." He sighs slowly, a muscle ticking in his cheek. "And we will stand together against the enemies seeking to destroy our way of life, Red and Silver. I pledge my life to eradicating the Scarlet Guard, in any way possible."