𝖑. Flooding Fort Patriot

[ tw: death, violence ]

𝖑. Flooding Fort Patriot

Valencia

VALENCIA HAS NEVER liked Harbor Bay. It stinks of fish and salt water, even in the Silver districts. Soon, it will smell only of blood.

The two weeks of rest in the Rift flew by, each minute passing faster than the last. Only last night, Val was home, nestled against Elle, whispering her goodbyes. She wasn't afraid then. She believed her father wouldn't let his heirs anywhere close to true danger. Damon and her would be safe, held in reserve to watch the driver and wade in when the fighting ebbed.

She was wrong.

Her father's hunger is deeper than she ever imagined.

He put her and Damon on the front lines without  a thought.

Now, their boats race over the ocean waves, skimming along the stormy blue, creating with rash flash of white foam. Valencia narrows her eyes as the wind tears at her hair and face, damp with the chill of seawater. It would knock her over if her boots weren't fused to the steel deck below her feet. Her ability courses, a low pulse in time with a boat skipping over the water.

They ride with the fog, hidden for now. Montfort's storm soldiers are talented and powerful, and they are good at using their abilities for deceit.

House Vesper leads the assault from the water, pushing on their metal crafts at high speed. Valencia's father is willing to risk their entire house for victory. Damon stands in the same boat as his sister, his body weighed down with mirrored armor and weaponry. Valencia has her own, too, of course. Gun belts crisscross his hips, snug against her muscles. She has a pistol, though she prefers to throw the bullets herself if need be. Her cousins of House Vesper vary, carrying rifles as well as shard explosives. She pictures the seawalls of Fort Patriot, high against the waves. Their first obstacle. Her focus sharpens as they approach, narrowing to this place and their objective.

Win the city.

Survive.

Go home.

The enemy will see them coming. Or at least they'll see the fog rolling off the water. It's early morning, though, when the air is still heavy and grey. A natural fog wouldn't seem out of place. It could give Valencia and the others cover longer than anything else. And when Matt strikes from the land, and House Brekker from the air, the city guards and the Patriot garrison won't know where to turn. Which front to fight.