𝖝𝖑𝖛𝖎𝖎. A Stupid Plan

Maeve

"I'M NOT AN IDIOT, Valencia," Maeve snaps as the changing-room door slams behind them.

The princess just sighs, shoving a training suit into Maeve's chest. She quickly strips out of her simple gown and tosses it to the side, discarding the puddle of silk like a pile of trash before pouring herself into a training suit of her own. Clearly custom-made for her, printed with a scaled design of black and silver.

Maeve's is less ornate. A simple navy blue. Furious with Valencia's scheming, she pulls off her own clothes and forces the suit on.

"You might as well just shove us into a closet and lock the door," Maeve snarls, watching the princess braid her now-blonde hair away from her face. She does it quickly, without thought, forming a crown around her head.

Valencia only twists her lips. "Trust me, I would if I thought that might work on you. Him, yes. A closet would be enough. But you?" She throws her hands wide, shrugging. "You can never make anything easy."

"So, what, you're going to try to beat the shit out of me and hope he feels some pang of sympathy? Maybe have him nurse me back to health?" Maeve shakes her head, irritated.

"It seemed to be working in Montfort," Valencia rebuttals, raising her eyebrows. "That silencer did a real number on you."

Maeve's eyes narrow. "Well, I have my reasons," she snaps back, defensive. The memory is like a slap to the face, followed by a deep kick to the gut. She digs her nails into her palm, trying not to slide back into the sensation of being suffocated. Of losing pints of her own blood with every breath she took.

"I know," Valencia replies, softer than before.

Maeve coughs, regaining some of her composure. "Even if you somehow did drive us back together, it wouldn't accomplish anything. You said yourself, he's not the abdicating kind. It's a stupid plan, Valencia," she adds, for both their sakes.

The princess looks at her sidelong, buckling a brace of daggers into place around her thigh. One side of her mouth lifts. Maeve can't tell if it's a smirk or a smile. "We'll see."

All grace and agility, Valencia crosses back to the door, gesturing for the lightning girl to follow her out onto the waxed wood.

Maeve does so reluctantly, pulling her hair back into a careless, tight ponytail. Half of her hopes Matthew is already gone.

"It's a stupid plan, not just because Matthew already made his choice," she continues, sliding by Valencia into the training floor. Instinctively, she shifts her weight to the balls of her feet, almost bouncing as they walk. She grins back at the princess. "But also because you're never going to lay a finger on me."