𝖑𝖝𝖛. A Barred Escape

Chris

AFTER SO MANY DAYS in captivity, smothered by Silent Stone and separated from his bracelets, the burst of flame is more quenching than water to a thirsty man. Chris lets it lick up inside him and explode along his skin, powerful and furious enough to throw back the wretched electricon. He falls and Maeve falls, too, both of them slamming backward onto the hard tile of Caesar's Square.

Chris doesn't spare a glance for her as he runs, leaving fire in his wake, a wall to defend his escape. He keeps another burst of flame close, coiling in his fist, using all his energy to keep it burning. His feet carry him over the Square and he sprints like never before. He's not like Matt, he's never been much of a warrior, but fear keeps him alert and daring. The chaos of Archeon works to his advantage, not to mention his intimate knowledge of the palace. Whitefire was Chris' home, and he's not forgotten it.

The sudden arrival of hundreds of Scarlet Guard soldiers is more than enough to distract Matt's troops, still trying to organize themselves against the Lakelander assault. Nevertheless, Chris keeps his head down, dark brown hair falling forward to obscure his all-too-recognizable face.

These soldiers were mine. Should still be mjne.

The voice in his head shifts from his own to hers.

Fools, all of them, Astraea sneers. Chris can almost feel her hands ghosting along his shoulders, keeping him upright as he runs. Replacing you with that wretched, spineless boy. He will be the end of a dynasty. The end of an age.

She isn't wrong. She was never truly wrong.

If only Father could see you now, Matt. See what you've become, and what you've done to his kingdom.

Of all Chris' many wishes and regrets, that one cuts deepest. His father is dead, but he died loving Matt, trusting Matt, believing in Matt's greatness and perfection. Chris wonders if he should have let things run their course. If somehow he could have simply made Orion see how flawed his perfect son was.

But Astraea had her reasons. She knows best.

And that is simply another path i'm taken. A dead future, as Kol would say.

Another missile explodes nearby, and as before, Chris uses the resulting explosion to his advantage. It breaks around him, harmless, allowing him to escape through a bloom of smoke and fire. He can't return to the Treasury tunnels, not with those Red rats still crawling around. But there are other ways down to the tracks, other ways to get out of Archeon undetected. The ways he knows best are in Whitefire itself, and he beats a path to the palace as quickly as he can.