𝖝𝖝𝖛𝖎𝖎. Training Properly

Maeve

IT FEELS LIKE Blake has been talking for hours, but Maeve doesn't mind. The girl before her is spilling everything she's so clearly been keeping inside and the Deuveux is glad that she came to her ━ of all people ━ to talk about it with. She supposes it's because she's the one who understands Blake the best, understands the guilt, the pain, the pressure. She just gets it.

Maeve first stopped to talk with Blake and her brother, Ben ━ who was freed from the clutches of the army after the invasion of Corvium along with the other members of the Little Legion, with the help of Matt, Nick, and other members of the Guard ━ whilst she was on her morning run with Matt. She'd taken a notice of Blake's expression and demeanor ━ one full of an uncharacteristic hesitation ━ and that was when the Scott girl asked her if she would walk with her. That she had some things she needed to say. So, with a wave of her hand, Maeve shooed Matt off and let Blake lead the way.

The techie has explained her fear, her anger, and the sick sensation she gets every time she thinks about what she can do and what she's done. How it used to thrill her. How such power made her feel invincible, indestructible ━ and now it makes her feel ashamed. Maeve lets her speak, taking in every word that spills over her lips.

Blake avoids the Deuveux's eyes as she talks, keeping her gaze firmly planted on her feet as they pave the training grounds. As they press on, more and more soldiers flood the field. Newbloods and Reds, all going through their morning exercises. In their uniforms, green coveralls provided by Montfort, it's hard to tell which is which. They all look the same, united.

"I want to protect my brother. He tells me we should go, leave . . ." Blake's voice weakens, trailing off as she finally has no more words left to say.

Maeve is forceful in her reply, wanting the younger girl to know that she's not alone in her loved ones wanting to give up on the war. "My sister says the same thing. Every day." The Deuveux's eyes darken with intensity as they trail over the landscape full of green uniforms. She takes in every one of them, watching them train. She's always on edge, always looking for a threat in which there isn't one. She wishes she wasn't. "She said we've given enough."

"So what will you do?" Blake asks, needing the answer.

"I can't turn my back," Maeve says, finally giving way to the words. She bites her lip, thoughtful with her reply. "There's too much anger in me. If I don't find a way to get rid of it, it might poison me for the rest of my life. But that probably isn't what you want to hear," she adds, softly. Maeve knows that the girl before her isn't like herself, doesn't need to keep going on to get justice. Blake is just sixteen years old, and she needs to let go.