𝖝𝖝𝖝𝖎𝖎𝖎. Not a Red Queen

Maeve

THEY DROWN in silence for a long moment.

Corvium yawns around them, full of people, but it feels empty.

Divide and conquer.

The implications are clear, the lines sharply drawn. Cyrus, Dawson, and Nick regard Maeve with equal intensity, and she stares back at them.

She supposes Matt has no idea, no inkling, that the Scarlet Guard and Montfort have absolutely no intention of letting him keep whatever throne he wins. She supposes he cares more about the crown than about whatever any Reds think. And she supposes she shouldn't call him Matt anymore.

Matthew Sturniolo. King Matthew.

It's the name he was born with, the name he wore when she met him.

Thief, he called her then. That was her name.

She wishes she could forget the last hour. Fall backward just a little bit. Falter. Stumble. Enjoy one more second of that strangely blissful place where the only thing she felt was the ache of tired muscles and repaired bones. The emptiness after a battle's adrenaline. The certainty of his love and support. And even through the heartbreak, she can't find it in herself to hate him for his choice. The rage will come later.

Concern crosses Cyrus' face. It seems strange on her. Maeve is more accustomed to cold determination or red anger from the blonde woman.

"I'll relay Matt's decision to the rest of Command," she says, breaking the silent tension. Her words are low and measured. "Just Command. America will carry the message."

Nick nods in agreement, eyes far away. The Montfort premier does the same. "Good. I think Generals Kelton and Hawthorne may have an idea of these developments already. They've been keeping tabs on the Roloson queen since she came into play."

"Annabel Roloson was in Chris' court long enough, at least a few weeks," Maeve replies. Somehow, her voice doesn't tremble. The words come out evenly, full of force. She has to look strong, even if she doesn't feel it right now. She can tell that Nick feels the same. He keeps his expression guarded, intense. Masking the emotions that rise when his family that has betrayed him countless times over is brought up. It's a lie, but a good one. "She probably has more information than I ever gave you."

"Probably," Dawson says with a thoughtful nod of his head. He narrows his eyes on the ground. Not searching, but focusing. A plan spirals out in front of him. The road ahead won't be easy. Even a child would know that. "Which is why I have to get back up there," he adds, almost in apology. As if Maeve could be angry with him for doing what he must. "Ears and eyes open, yeah?"