8

James did not want to meet Regulus at the fountain. He was still hurt by the things Regulus had said earlier that week and he was not looking forward to this meeting, but Lily had told him it was urgent, she looked rather distressed about something and so he couldn't deny her. He walked across campus as slowly as he could and the moment he saw the back of Regulus' deep black curls, he wanted to turn around and run away, but he didn't. He walked up to the younger boy as if he wasn't terrified of the boy hurting him.

"Black" he said. Regulus turned around, looking very pale.

"James" he said, voice weirdly high pitched, like he was... nervous?

"You came" he said.

"You called" James replied. There was a silence, a short but tense silence.

"I'm so sorry" Regulus said. James frowned, this was not exactly what he was expecting. No idea what he had expected though, it was Regulus Black, you never knew what he would be up to.

"You're sorry?" James repeated.

"For admitting I wanted to ruin your life, I guess" Regulus said. It was one of the weakest apologies James had ever heard, but coming from a Black, this was a lot.

"I mean, I knew but actually hearing you say it? After I had just grown to like you a bit? I don't know, maybe I also overreacted a bit" James said, awkwardly scratching the back of his head. He had been overreacting a bit on purpose, not texting Regulus, avoiding him at all costs, it was like they were back to zero again, but James just wanted to know if Regulus would reach out himself, if he had also noticed the shift in their dynamic. They weren't all that hostile with each other anymore and James was happy with that.

"I eh, I don't hate you James" Regulus said, actively avoiding any eye contact. James snorted.

"Who would have ever thought you would say that" James said, completely forgetting about the tension between them just moments earlier, it was like talking to an old friend, someone who had not admitted to wanting to ruin your life just day before. Regulus also laughed.

"Not me. Sixteen year old me would be so disappointed in me" he said, shaking his head.

"I really want to try and be your friend, Regulus, but only if you'll let me, okay? So that includes no more ruining my life, no more accusing me of me 'stealing all your friends' and trust in each other, alright? Can we do that?" James asked. He felt like a child asking someone else on the playground to be his best friend for ever, but he felt like this would be the best way to do it. Regulus looked like he had just proposed to him.

"My god Regulus, I'm not asking you to marry me, unless you want to-"

"No more fucking winking, I told you this before" Regulus cried out.

"Alright, alright, but you're ignoring my question. Can we be friends?" James sighed. Regulus looked at him with his eyes narrow, suspicious if this was all or if there was something deeper lurking underneath the shadows.

"Sure" he said eventually and James' heart made a small jump. He held out his hand for Regulus to shake and before he could retreat, because he realized it was stupid, they were both adults and this was not a business proposal, just a new friendship, Regulus shook it. James stared at their hands for just a moment, trying not to think about how the touch burned on his skin in just the right ways.

"Great" he said with a smile and a nod of his head.

"Great" Regulus repeated, a lot less sure.

"So, friend, want to eh, grab a coffee together? I know just the place" James suggested. Regulus rolled his eyes but complied and James smiled to himself about this little victory. He had grown really fond of the small boy and was glad they were on good terms. He felt the need to know everything about him and spent more time with him than he had so far and so a coffee date seemed perfect. Well, it was not a date of course because, well, James had Lily of course and he was also not romantically nor sexually attracted to his best friends little brother. He just wanted to be friends with the short, mean, extremely talented ice skater who also just happened to be very attractive. Just friends. Focus James, focus.