epilogue

It was the summer before James' last year at college and the lot of them were staying over at James', Sirius, Regulus, Peter and Remus. They had come home from Hope Lupin' funeral not more than three hours ago, but everyone had gone to their respective bedrooms immediately, too tired to think or speak. Hope had died in an terrible accident at the nursing home, no one was sure how it could have happened, but Remus had assured them it might be better this way. Her health had been declining at a rapid speed and she would finally have her peace. The funeral had been beautiful, they had cried and laughed and remembered Hope as far as each of them had known her. Remus had given a terribly heartbreaking but beautiful speech and James couldn't help but hurt for him.

Regulus was in his bed, arms wrapped around James and James was softly playing with his hair while Regulus slept. James couldn't get himself to fall asleep, no matter how tired he was. His mind was racing, filled with thoughts and memories of the past year. He and Regulus had been together for over a year now, but it felt like much longer. He was sure he had found his soulmate. Everything felt better when Regulus was around. James ran his fingers through his boyfriends hair again, watching him slowly waking up.

"I love you, did you know?" James whispered. Regulus smiled at him, his eyes still closed, holding on to his sleep. He did know. He did know and he was the luckiest man alive.

•••

"Happy birthday Reggie" James whispered. It was the middle of the night, the clock had just turned twelve. It would only be a few minutes before the rest of their friends would storm in to congratulate him, but James wanted his boyfriend to his own for this moment. He kissed his temple and stroked his hair from his face.
"I got you a present" he said. Regulus yawned.
"You didn't have to, Jamie" he said sleepily. James smiled.
"I know, but i wanted to, and it's also a bit for me" he said. Regulus opened his eyes a bit further.
"What is it?" he asked. James was holding something up and swinging it back and forth. It took a minute for Regulus' eyes to focus. It was small and shiny and-
"Are those keys?" Regulus asked with a frown. James bit his lip to suppress his grin.
"Yes" he nodded.
"The keys to what?" Regulus asked confused. James leaned in and kissed him on his lips before answering.
"To our new apartment" he said. At that moment the door flew open and Sirius came running in.
"Happy birthday little bro" he yelled. Regulus rubbed his forehead. He was so very tired, but he did appreciate the gesture. Whatever happened next didn't stick in his brain, because all he could think about was James' present. Their own apartment? For the two of them? Were they going to be living together? Somewhere that was not a dorm room? Their own house? He opened his friends their presents and thanked them and he loved all of them, but nothing would top James'.
"Now, get some sleep, we're helping you move tomorrow."

•••

All was good, all was well. Regulus had never been happier in his life. He just graduated college and was living together with his boyfriend. He was skating at a high level, world championships we're coming up and he'd been qualified. His sibling was also happy. Them and Remus had just moved in together, finally, and he knew they were looking to adopt. If someone would've told a younger Regulus that everything would eventually fall in place, people would accept him, he would find love, he'd be in contact with his sibling again, he would've laughed you in the face. But everything had fallen into place and Regulus couldn't be happier he had stayed.