Don't Stray Too Far

Don't Stray Too Far Now

You're All Helpless Without Him

Where Is The Woodsman?

The dark clouds that hung over the small town only added to the feeling of absolute dread that already filled the heart of a nervous soul. The soul that belonged to a new student at the local high school located just outside of town.

The boy held onto the straps of his bag as tightly as he could as he looked at the large building before him. It was definitely much smaller than his previous place of education, but the hopeless emotion that it radiated still felt the same.

The boy himself wasn't much to take note of. He was shorter than most boys his age with hair that curled in ways that many envied. His eyes were a lighter green than his father's, but they had the same nose and smile. He wasn't broad nor was he very muscular. He was slim and rather fragile when compared to his peers. The glasses he wore were square in shape and helped to hide the faint scar just above his left eye.

He looked around at the other teenagers that had gathered for a day of learning. Though it wasn't much of a secret that many of them weren't here for a higher education. They rather be at home watching TV or playing whatever video games they could get their hands on. This being a small town, there wasn't many options for entertainment. The movie theater was mostly out of the question unless you enjoyed watching old movies that came out months ago.

Regardless, the boy had made a promise to his father. He was going to give this place a chance for his mother's sake. So, the boy took a deep breath and took the first step forward in his new life. Only, it was not a very successful one. He immediately had to take a step back when someone nearly bumped into him.

He fixed his glasses and watched as the person continued on her way as if nothing had even happened. Invisible as always. The boy brushed it off and walked up the stone steps toward the front doors of the school. The logo hung overhead as "The Wolves" with a cartoon of a ferice beast as the mascot. The boy looked around, noticing the smell of a new environment, and spotted the small trophy case which housed a range of trophies.

Basketball, Football, Soccer, Tennis, even Track and Field. All ranging from 3rd to 1st. What caught his eye, however, was a black and white photo of the former Football team that had made it to state long before the boy was even born. One face stuck out like a sore thumb for him. The face of his father.

He was a linebacker, and apparently he was a very good one. The boy had seen the results when he watched his father work with his hands. He was still a very large man even now. It was an unintentional expectation that was placed on the boy by those who knew his father. They expected a football player. Not.........

Not him.

The boy's thoughts were interrupted by the sudden ringing of the bell overhead. He quickly pulled out the paper in his coat pocket to see what class he had first, but he quickly lost grip of it. The paper went flying from his hand to the ground. It wasn't long after that the students rushing to class crowded the hall, making it nearly impossible to pick the paper up. The boy had to watch as his schedule was torn to pieces until it had calmed down enough for him to take a look at the damages.

The paper was now torn in three, but it was still legible. Looks like his first class was English. At least that was something. He was good with literature, his second best subject actually. Maybe things wouldn't be so bad after all.