Legally Screwed

"You quit?" Sugar asked as we got ready to go to the Broadway show. I was curling Noel's hair as she sipped on some ginger ale because she had just finished throwing up for the 4th time. "Just like that?" Sugar's shock was apparent in every word.

"Yes." I simply said, fixing one of the curls to sit just right on my sister's shoulders.

"Was it something I said?" She proposed.

"It was everything you said, Sugar. Now can we change the topic? If I think about it too long, I will start to panic, and today I want to have fun. So the worrying part can wait till tomorrow."

"Yeah, okay. But hasn't Alex called you a billion times today like he always does?" Sugar questioned.

"I shut my phone off."

"Why didn't he try calling me then, I wonder." Sugar continued.

"I think he was busy with the auditors, and then he had a flight to catch." I guessed.

"Hmm, something doesn't seem right...maybe he hurt himself..."

"Sugar!" I yelled. "Please, as I said, I don't want to think about Alex right now."

"I am just saying it's bizarre behavior from a man who always gets in touch with you. He knows where you live. He could have just shown up here and dragged you to work if he wanted, especially since he pays for half this apartment-- oh god, how are we going to afford this place now!"

"He doesn't pay for half the apartment; I do!" I defended myself. "The company was just compensating me extra for my long commute."

"Yeah, by giving you an extra 2k a month! Leaving me to pay very little a month for this place!"

"How much?!" Noel exclaimed. "On top of all the money you were already making? Holy crap!"

"Why did you quit? I was just telling you to set healthy boundaries-- Oh god, we are going to be homeless." Sugar panicked.

"Sugar, what the hell? That was not the tone you were taking today morning when you were being high and mighty!"

Sugar took a deep breath to calm herself. "Sorry, but I make 15.29 an hour. This place definitely costs more than that. I don't want to move in with my parents, Char; I can't do it!"

"We will be fine. The perk of working 24/7 is you don't have any time to spend your money. I have enough saved up to get us through this year, at least." I assured her. "As I said before, we do the panicking tomorrow!"

"Okay, okay! Sorry, it's just that I am aware that you and, in turn, Alex were pretty much paying for this place, and I was getting milk and food once in a while. I know I am an ungrateful little leech, but I have become accustomed to a certain lifestyle which I intend to pay you back in full when I am a famous superstar." She offered.

"I'll make sure to sue if you don't!" I laughed.

"Deal!"

"You two are so weird," Noel finally interjected.

"Okay, I am ready if you girls are!" Sugar said, applying a bright pink lipstick that went perfectly with her milky white skin and dark red hair. She looked like a 50s beauty with her curls hanging neatly around her face, almost touching her shoulders.

"Let's go," Noel and I said in synch.

All three of us made our way toward the door. I opened it getting there before the other two, and was blocked by another obstacle. No need to guess what or who that was. He was standing with his fist in midair. I guess I got to the door right as he was about to knock.