A Quick Weekend?

TW: Suicide. Please read with caution!

The rest of the weekend passed by quicker than I wanted it to. I mainly spent time with Noel and Sugar, taking turns having sleepovers at each other's houses. We ate, drank, and generally did nothing else. No one talked about or thought of work, and finally, we all got the vacation we deserved.

So when Sunday rolled around, and everyone took turns leaving, there was an air of annoyance and sadness in everyone's mood. Sugar was the first to leave at five in the morning—she had to open the bakery. She woke each of us and hugged us goodbye—adding a see you later for me. Noel left next, as Charlie had left with Alex on Thursday night to see his parents in Maryland for the rest of the weekend. Noel had to pick Charlie up before returning to South Jersey to their condo. I was, for the first time ever, free to stay longer.

Alex was answering sporadically when I texted him about his meeting with Shawn, mainly telling me not to worry. Then any time I texted a question that required a detailed answer about the matter, he would text some form of, "Go enjoy your time with the family! We'll talk in person later."

Finally, around three in the afternoon, my curiosity got the best of me. Plus, the house was empty now with Sugar and Noel gone and my parents busy preparing for their Mondays by going shopping for the week. So I packed up and headed to Alex's apartment.

****

There were several rings of the doorbell and three loud knocks to his apartment, and still no answer. Where was this man? Before getting here, I called several times as well. Starting to worry, I contemplated calling the building manager and asking him to unlock the door with a master key. Still, I tried ringing the doorbell again, adding an "Alex" with each button press.

Finally, the door swung open, and a half-naked  Alex appeared before me. A towel clung onto his glistening torso, threatening to come loose at any given moment.

"Sorry! Sorry! Sorry!" He crooned. "Come in!"

He kissed me quickly and moved from the doorway to let me in. "Why are you just showering? It's almost 5!" I commented as I walked in and took my usual seat on the couch.

"I've been talking on and off to Shawn all weekend. So my days have been all over the place." He casually mentioned joining me on the couch, getting a bit of my shoulders wet as his bare chest touched them.

"And...?" I nervously asked.

"And nothing. I told you it was just a conversation. We just talked about my options." He said, not meeting my eyes.

"What are the options?" I questioned.

"How was your weekend?" He asked, smiling. When I stared at him, stone straight, he kissed my cheeks. Still, I did not give in. "Ugh, fine, my father wants to make an offer to buy LongD."

"YOUR SELLING TO YOUR FATHER?" I jumped up out of my seat screaming.

"Would you relax? No, I am not?" He calmly said. "At least I have not decided yet."

"Alex, I didn't bust my tail for eight years, listening to you go on and on about how LongD will get somewhere to have you sell to your daddy!"

"Why do you care? You are halfway out the door!" He retorted.

"Hey, I still want to ensure my work doesn't go under. You know, once you give up on LongD, your dad will just sell the company for its parts." I argued.

"Okay, come back, and I won't sell!" He widened his smile.

"Nope, still in my Quiet Quitting phase!" I said, tapping his bare chest a few times, but when I went to move my hand, he held them there in place. I tried snatching it out of his grip, but that only made him tighten it, wiggling his eyebrows. "Don't try to change the subject. Why are you trying to sell?"