Date Interrupted

Alex guided me all through our building, its doors, and elevators. I protested throughout the trip until the New York air informed me that we were finally outside. His hand wrapped around me the whole time, tightly. He did not let go, even when we were outside. We both lightly shook, and the wind around my face fastened as I felt Alex's other hand move vigorously as if waving at someone.

"Get inside." He instructed.

"I can't see anything! Where am I supposed to go?" I yelled.

"Okay... okay...relax. I am getting this thing off. I only put it on to get you out without too much fight!" He joked as he worked on the knots he had tied.

"You sound like a creepy kidnapper!" I accused him.

"I am!" Then he mwahaha...like a villain in a Disney movie.

When my eyes were functional again, I saw a yellow taxi before me. "I am not getting in there. I have no clue where you are taking me. It might be a meeting with a vendor or investors, and as I told you, I am off today!"

"Just get in and stop giving me a hard time." He said, raising his eyebrows and smirking.

I rolled my eyes but complied. There was no winning with Alex anyways. I already won the main battle of quitting in May. Plus, these past few weeks, we had been fighting more than ever, and if I could help it, I would avoid it.

He showed the taxi driver something on the phone, and it started moving slowly in the morning city traffic. I poked and prodded Alex for our final destination. "You don't know where you're taking me. You are just doing this because you got angry at me earlier. You probably just told the driver to drive around till you find something I like."

"Okay!" He shrugged.

We passed by clusters of empty bars and restaurants, busy bagel and coffee shops, and crowded streets as the city folk migrated. I wonder what kind of date Alex would take me in the morning? The only thing I could think of included breakfast, which I very much hoped for because my stomach threatened to protest in the form of a growl.

Finally, the taxi slowed, and I knew exactly where we were.

"Central park? Really?" I said. I thought we would go somewhere new and exciting, not a tourist location.

"When was the last time you were here?" He asked.

"I..." I could not remember. I think I walked past it several times, going to other places. I knew what it was when I did. Still, I had never intentionally gone to central park. "never...I never had the chance?" I said, shocking myself.

"Knew it! Let's go! I am giving you the tourist experience for the first time in New York!" He excitedly said, walking out of the taxi and giving me his hand to help me out. I smiled. This was the Alex I liked. The one who remembered weird details about my life that I never did. That's what eight long and connected years did for you. It got you a person who knew you better than you know yourself. I placed my hand into his, and he wrapped his long fingers warmly around mine.

****

Park was an understatement. It felt more like walking around an island, though there were plenty of places where dirty water appeared, feeling the air with its stink and beauty.

We walked, then walked some more, and ate when we saw something we liked from the many concession stands and food carts. We did more of that random talking we got used to the last few days under. Alex held my hand any time we were walking and faced me anytime we were sitting. The world had disappeared, and we ended up somewhere new.

I was exhausted by three in the afternoon, and Alex suggested we move on to our second location. "I can't walk anymore!" I complained as we made our way out of the park.