A Strange World

The moment Sunni regained consciousness, she started to feel warm grass under her body. It felt so soft and gentle as if she was laying in a field of flowers. She slowly lifted her head, her vision blurry from being in that portal. She looked up and saw that she was in a different new world, unlike New York or any other. She wasn't dreaming and she was really not at home. There were so many red, blue and orange mushrooms as tall as trees and in front of her was a ruined building with the green tube she had come out of. She stood up in a sitting position and saw little butterflies floating by.

"Where.. am I?" she thought to herself.

She began to sit up, her legs still weak and wobbly as she struggled to keep herself steady. Her head was swimming and she looked around the new place. One of the platforms above the sky are floating platforms with waterfalls hitting the lakes. Puffle is not with her by her side. She must have disappeared when they were in the tube and became seperated.

She began to take a few steps and began to look around for her pet. "Puffle? Puffle!" She called. "Puffle, where are you!?"

There wasn't a response. She wasn't sure her pet was alive but she seemed a little worried because something was watching them. She looked to see a strange grove of red flowers with white spots and white lips. It reminded her of venus flytraps. And she often stayed away from them. She looked around to see a few brown mushrooms beginning to move and scurry around in the grove. Is that possible for mushrooms to move? she thought.

She could not ignore the pain as she carefully walked out of the strange mushroom forest. The plains seemed so pretty and she hasn't been outside ever since. She reminded her when her family managed to go on vacation up in Canada. Sometimes, she even got to fish for some carp for lunch and dinner. Sunni wished that this vacation would end but now she is in a new world. The strange thing is that there are floating blocks, green pipes, and strange things all over.

As she saw something in the far mountains, she heard a voice. She yelped and turned, until she saw that it was a strange creature. It had yellow hair tied in a ponytail with a helmet. A miner's helmet and wearing a scarf around her neck. It doesn't have any arms but it has two little feet.

"Hi." the strange creature said softly. "My name is Goombella. Are you a real human being?"

Sunni hesitated. "What are you talking about? Of course I am!" She pondered about this as she straightened her hat. "Not to say this but is this heaven?"

"Heaven?" the creature tipped her head. "No. This is the Mushroom Kingdom. Strange, right? Just a bunch of Goombas, Koopas, Piranhas, Toads, Shy Guys, and Cheep Cheeps."

"What?" Sunni hesitated. "No way. There are more creatures like you?"

"Pretty much," she shrugged.

"No way," the girl hesitated. "This can't be real. I must be dreaming. Have you seen my dog, Puffle? She is a cream puppy with bright fluffy fur and has a collar."

"I never saw her," Goombella shrugged. The strange mushroom creature began to hop down the hill and waddled toward Sunni. "But where did you come from? I have never seen you around here before."

Sunni was a little shy, but she did manage to say her name. "I'm Sunni. Sunni Daylight. I came from Brooklyn, New York as a construction worker. I live with my dog and in this apartment not too far from my home. But I suddenly followed a sparkling light and I appeared here."

The goomba was speechless, even though she had never heard her story, she was impressed. "Maybe that light brought you here by mistake."

"It did," the human nodded her head. "I don't know how to get back home! I lost my pet, I'm lost and I don't know what else to do!"

Goombella heard the commotion of Sunni lamenting and she rushed over to comfort her. "Hey, hey, it's okay," she assured her, petting her knee with her foot. "We'll get your dog and get you back home." With that, she began to remove the foot of her knee. "Anyway, since we met. I bet I should give you the grand tour of the Mushroom Kingdom."

Sunni's face lit up. "A tour?"

"Yep," she nodded and began to hop onto a giant mushroom. "Come on! You can't stand here all alone."

Sunni climbed up to her feet and started to follow Goombella to the Mushroom Kingdom. Everywhere she looked, Goombella explained the entire story of the kingdom and how so many creatures live here and there are different biomes around the world and said that there are different creatures who live here. But however, she told Sunni about a dangerous kingdom that looks like a volcano and has a monster-shaped entrance in the Dark lands. Sunni thought this was strange, as if she had never been around the Mushroom world with floating blocks, green pipes, and so many coins that are spotted around the world.

Goombella stopped at the town that she and Sunni were about to enter. A town with houses made out of mushrooms and populated with hundreds of little people.

Toad Town.