Chapter 12 - Big Love, Big Heartache

Oh, how difficult it is to find a dress that fits!

"This is no use, Donna," I complained as we were in a clothing store a couple of days after that talk with Elvis on the phone that caused me to not be able to sleep until two hours before my alarm went off. I was in a daze all day that day, and not because I was tired, but because I knew that the man of my dreams had strong feelings for me. It was a wonderful feeling, yet... it hurt that I couldn't be involved with him because of what people would think.

"You need to be wearing a nice outfit for this scene, Shannon," my sister retorted as she sat in a sofa that was placed near the dressing rooms of this clothing store. I had come out in a dress that was far too big on me. It was the right shape for my feminine form, but far too big, and the chest was huge.

I lifted the straps to this dark blue dress in order to at least make the dress fit a little better. "You know how hard it is for me to find clothes. I've learned to make my own just so I could have decent clothing for my age and size. The two don't mix very well."

She studied me and what I was wearing. The dress went to the floor, plus a foot that was jumbled at my feet. "I think you could alter this one. That was what we were going to do, right? Alter the dress when we found a keeper?"

"Yes..." I sighed and looked down at it. "It would need a lot of altering. But I like it."

"I do, too. It makes your eyes pop. And..." She gave me a sly look. "I think Elvis would find you rather attractive in it once it's all done."

She knew exactly what happened between me and him thus far, including the vet visit and phone conversation. "I don't plan to talk to him."

She folded her arms over her white blouse that was complemented by a cherry-red pencil skirt. "You told him you would say no to the director, and here you are trying on a dress for the next scene. You've done this twice now—tell Elvis you're done with being an extra, but you're still one anyway. You really can't stay away from him."

"I told him those things on purpose. I want him to think I said no."

"But what about you saying that it would be torture to see him, knowing you can't have him even though the both of you desperately want to be together?"

I turned around and looked at myself in the full-length mirror. My wavy blonde hair was down, I wore makeup, and I imagined how this dress would look on me when I altered it. Elvis thought I was pretty in normal clothes. He would really like this piece. "I... guess I'll have to try my best."

"Your best being forcing yourself not to jump out of your seat, run up to the stage and jump into his arms and kiss him? He would let you if you did that. Remember, he called you first. He even went through someone else to get your phone number. That man is desperate. Plus, what if he sees you in the audience?"

"Hal told me about the scene. It's going to be dark, and I would be near the back in the auditorium, so Elvis won't see me. That's why I wanted to wear a dark color. I'll do the scene, then I'm out. This extra cash that I'm getting for being an extra will help the clinic and me."

"I think you should be with your man. You're nuts, you know. This is Elvis Presley we're talking about. Every woman in the US would want to be you, and probably women from other countries, too."

"You know why he and I can't work."

"Because of what people think? Who cares?"

"It's important, Donna," I snapped as I glared at her reflection in the mirror. "Elvis was already branded a pedophile because of that girl Priscilla. I don't want to ruin his reputation farther. Plus, he's famous. World-famous. And I'm a normal girl. I mean, normal, as in, I'm not famous."