II: GAME

The group ran down the stairs, stumbling to the ground as the reached the bottom. All of their phones chimed. "Game cleared," the announcer said, "Congratulations."

"It's all thanks to you," the woman said, "Thank you."

Hana looked down at Chota's leg, which was been burnt in the fire when they're time had ran out in the second to last room.

"It's my karma," Chota said. The woman's eyes then landed on a white table just a few metres away. She walked towards it, followed by everyone else. On the table lay a card: the three of clubs.

The phones then let out some sort of joyful tone. "To the survivors of the game, we will now supply you with a visa," the announcer said.

"Visa?" Arisu asked.

Footsteps began to approach them, stopping just a few metres away, and they looked up to see a defeated looking man. "I'm going to drop out of the game," he said, "Listen. There's no need to the game, no matter how much you clear. My visa just ended today. And now... I wish to play no longer." The man looked into the sky, and a laser was shot down into his head, killing him.

All of the lights buzzed out as everyone made their way over to the man's still body. "When our visa expires," the woman said, "You must return to the game or..."

"Die," Hana finished for her.

"Our visas will end to," Arisu said.

"We've got three days," Karube said.

"If you don't want to die, you'll have to continue playing the game," the woman said.

Hana weighed up her options. She could wait it out for a few days, find some shelter for a while before her inevitable death. That way, she wouldn't have to take part in the horrifying games, which could kill her anyway. Or she could fight for her life in the hopes that she'd maybe, just maybe, get back home. For someone like Hana, a fighter, that wasn't a hard decision to make.

The group found shelter and introduced themselves to each other

The group found shelter and introduced themselves to each other. Hana found out that the woman's name was Shibuki. She didn't like Shibuki.

"I'm Hana," Hana told everyone.

"Wait, we're going by first names?" Chota asked.

"No, you guys don't have to, I just don't like my surname. My parents suck, so."

That was basically how they're conversation went.

The next morning, they woke up with two days left on their visas. The mall they took shelter in had plenty of food to last them a while. They sat around the table eating.

"This is so good," Chota said, "We haven't eaten anything since yesterday."

"Hey, what were you guys doing when everyone disappeared?" Shibuki asked.

"I was in a telephone box, trying to call my landlord. It wasn't working so I came out and everyone was, like gone. Poof," Hana said.

"We were in the bathroom," Arisu said.

"All in the same stall," Chota added.

"Why were you all in the same stall?" Shibuki asked.

"Where were you?" Karube asked.

"I was at work. I was in the conference room doing some paperwork. And then, everyone in the office disappeared."

"Did you guys happen to see or hear anything at all?" Arisu asked.

"Just the electricity going out," Hana said.

"I came to this place three days ago," Shibuki said, "And I was forced to play this game, just like all of you were. Everybody died, except for me."

"You mean you use them as bait, right?" Karube asked.

"Think whatever you've want. All I wanted was to survive."

"What kind of game was it?" Hana asked.

"It was at the subway. They used poisonous gas in the game. Everyone was vomiting blood. Blood was coming out of their eyes."

"Weird, huh? The day everyone disappeared. It was yesterday, for the four of us, but it was three days ago for her. Why the time difference?"

"That's right," Karube asked.

"And those vegetables that were rotten. They take longer than a few days to go bad."

"Maybe the speed of time is... different from the normal world?" Shibuki suggested.

"Huh?"

"I don't really know, but... Take the, the five of us here. The timeline of when people disappeared is different, like you said."

"Did we time travel while we were in the subway bathroom stall?" Chota asked.

"There's no way," Karube said.

"There's also no way people just disappeared."

"Or that we saw two people die from lasers that shot down from the sky. I think the word 'imporssible' is out the window," Hana said.

"Time travel isn't real," Karube said.

"Then explain the game and people disappearing," Chota said.

"I don't know, alright?"

"Anyways, one thing we know for sure about this game... A game master's running it," Arisu said.

"Game master?" Karube asked. Hana leaned forward, suddenly more interested.

"Someone came up with this game. That's for sure."

"So while we're in a bathroom stall, they get rid of everyone in Tokyo and set up this game?"

"They keep track of our movements and fire lasers through our heads when when we make the wrong move."

"What kind of person would do that?"

"I don't know," Chota said, "But it's definitely possible if they inserted a highly accurate GPS microchip into our bodies."

"Spoken like a real IT geek."

"But who the hell could be behind this thing?" Arisu asked.

"The government," Hana shrugged, "Population control or some other, more twisted shit. Survival of the fittest."

"Could it be an experiment?" Chota asked.

"There were some rumours going around at my work," Shibuki said, "An IT company from Europe wanted to conduct an experiment. They'd established a VR space, then created an alternate world identical to the real one."

"But we should be able to tell VR from the real world," Karube said.

"Yeah. Plus, wouldn't we feel those big ass fucking goggles on our faces? There's no way this is VR," Hana said.

"Man," Chota said, looking down at his leg, "This hurts."

"I don't think VR can cause burns like that," Arisu said.

"Maybe it's God. This has to be the work of God. Otherwise, how else do you explain it?"

"You're talking crazy now," Karube said.

"No, man. I think God really does exist."

"Hey, is it getting worse?" Shibuki asked.

"It's alright. Oh, it's gonna be fine."