XVII: JACK OF HEARTS

this chapter is so long lol i didn't want to have the solitary confinement split across three chapters

Hana watched as a bald guy beat up someone else, someone more vulnerable than him. She rolled her eyes. She'd seen way too much of this since she first got here. Strong people taking advantage of those who are scared of them. It was nothing new.

Blue shirt walked over, crouching next to him and whispering something in his ear before walking away again. Hana couldn't tell what he said, but it definitely wasn't words of reassurance.

"Tell me the answer," the bald man said.

"Club," his victim said.

"Huh?"

"Club!"

The bald man laughed, finally letting go. "Don't wait so long next time."

As he walked away, Hana looked at the diamond on the back of his neck. Ippei was about to tell him, but was shushed by both Hana and Chishiya. Hana didn't know what was going to through Chishiya's head, and why he didn't save the man, but she was glad. One person dying meant they were closer to ending the game and getting rid of the Jack. Not to mention, she didn't want to watch this guy beat the shit out of everyone.

"Now the game is really starting," Chishiya said.

No one else said anythin hung about the man's suit, they probably thought the same as Hana, but they wouldn't admit it.

"It is time to give your answer. Please enter a solitary confinement cell of your choosing."

Hana and Chishiya entered next to each other, and Hana braces herself for the explosion as the time went down. When the timer hit zero, the explosion sounded, along with the sound of ripping flesh.

"Ew," Hana said. When she got back, she noticed the man's photo had been darkened. Everyone seemed scared, except Urumi and blue shirt. When Hana looked back at the board, she noticed everyone's names were on there. She mentally kicked herself for not noticing sooner. Blue shirt's name was Banda. She recognised him.

"Hey," Urumi said, "That guy must be the Jack. He lied to that big bully and killed him. I think we'd better kill him next turn."

"Are you saying we should lie him?" Yellow shirt asked.

"Of course. He's definitely the Jack. And if not, he's still dangerous. We should eliminate him while we have the chance."

Everyone lied to the man about his suit. They told him he was a Spade. He wasn't. He was a Heart. She felt bad, obviously.

"Don't say anything," Chishiya said.

"What makes you think I'm gonna say something?" Hana asked.

"That look on your face. I can read you well."

"What if someone does that to us?"

"Then we'll tell each other the right answer, obviously."

Hana still worried. She hadn't gotten the time he'd betrayed her out of her head. She got off lucky. He hadn't tagged her out. But Arisu and Usagi didn't. Arisu was hurt. Usagi wasn't, not physically, but being alone with Niragi surely wasn't something you wanted.

As expected, the guy died, and now it was time for round four. Hana didn't say anything about Urumi's betrayals. Realistically, Urumi was doing what she could to get rid of the Jack and survive. If anything, it was smart of her. Her ability to manipulate people was coming in handy. Not only for her, but for Hana, too.

"People are starting to get nervous," Chishiya said, "I know they said there was no time limit... except that people are actually starting to die now, I'm not sure we'll find the Jack at all."