8.

It was the next day, and Neytiri was serving breakfast to the teenagers and children. 

"Come and get it" She said, before getting a piece herself. Neytiri volunteered to make and serve the food this morning because she wanted to see the children, or specifically, the ones that her sons had taken a liking to. She had a suspicion that Neteyam knew what she was up to, but Lo'ak was none the wiser. When Neteyam first saw her make the food, he had asked her why she was there.

"I'm here to help out of course." She explained.

"Mom..." He looked at her, as if trying to read her mind. He sighed and went to sit down at the makeshift table with his siblings and with Laya. He kept looking up and meeting his mother's eyes, but eventually just went back to the conversation.

"So... I want to take you guys out further into the reef later today." Laya explained. She took a bite of her food before continuing. "You'll need to ride Ilu's there, so that's why I say we practice some more this morning." Tsireya and Lo'ak looked at eachother, but looking back at Laya and nodding their heads.

"Sounds good." Tsireya said. 
"I'm down." Lo'ak nodded.

Next to Kiri sat Tuk. "Okay, but I want to actually learn how to ride one this time. Not just watch others learn" She side-eyed Neteyam and Laya. Laya smiled and nodded. "Of course Tuk, I'll help you out." Tuk seemed pleased and smiled, going back to her food. Next to Laya, Neteyam looked at Laya. "What am I supposed to do?" He whined. Then, he heard a voice to his right. 

"I can help you jungle boy, don't you fret." Rotxo spoke with his arms crossed, then winked at Laya. Neteyam sighed before looking over and making eye contact with him. "Very funny Rotxo." He said, annoyance in his voice. "I'm serious. I'll help you out." Sarcasm was still in Rotxo's voice, but Neteyam didn't want to deal with him right now. "Go away Rotxo" Laya called out to him. Rotxo looked at her and frowned. "You don't like seeing my pretty face Laya? Shame. We'd be so good together." This annoyed Laya, but she had dealt with this her whole life. Neteyam, in a desperate attempt to get Rotxo to leave, said, "Fine." Rotxo's smile grew. "Good. Finish your breakfast and meet me on the beach." Then he whispered, "Freak." Neteyam had a feeling he had gotten himself into trouble, but decided to not think about it and focus on Laya. 

Finishing his breakfast, he looked in front of him. To his left, Laya laid her hand on his. "I'm sorry. I know he's giving you a hard time." She said softly. They made eye contact and suddenly Neteyam's worries disappeared. He softened his gaze and uttered, so only she could hear it, "I'll be fine. I'll see you after, yeah?" She bit the inside of her cheek and nodded. Before letting go of her hand, he slid out of the table and kissed her hand. Then he turned away and walked towards the beach that Rotxo had gone to. What a gentleman. Even as Neytiri watched she felt a little pride for her eldest son and the way he was charming this girl. One thing Laya knew, she was definitely falling for this jungle boy.

================================================================================

Walking down to the beach, Netayam couldn't get her off his mind. Her hair, her eyes, the way she comforted him, even the way she made fun of him. He was falling more and more each day. He was so deep in thought that he didn't notice Rotxo creeping up behind him. Rotxo suddenly shoved Neteyam forward, making him fall into the sand in front of him. 

"How does that feel freak? Huh? You must miss your forest floors by now. Why don't you scurry back home and leave us alone." Rotxo mocked. Neteyam just calmly stood up and faced him. 

"What's your problem dude? Did I do anything to you?" Neteyam questioned, stepping forward. He didn't care for rivals, and he found that this rivalry was taking more energy than he wanted to give it.