36.

It had been a week ever since the battle with the sky people. Some of the members of the Metkayina returned back to their normal jobs, some healed, and some were gone. A cloud of sorrow rested over their clan because of the lives lost.

Neytiri and Jake also decided it was time to move back to their home. When they broke this news to their kids, they found more resistance than they thought they would.

"What?" Kiri exclaimed.

"No, we can't." Neteyam stated, as if it was a fact.

"But-" Lo'ak tried to reason.

"Fine.." Tuk complied.

Neytiri and Jake understood Neteyam not wanting to leave, but Lo'ak and Kiri? Jake looked at his partner and sighed.

"We have to go back. It's our real home. We'll be with our people again." Jake told his kids. Neteyam didn't say anything, just kept his gaze on the floor. Lo'ak, though, was very vocal.

"You're kidding! You move us here, we all make friends, now you want to take us back? That's so unfair!" He complained.

"Look children-" Neytiri squatted down, ushering the boys to sit down. "We need to return to our people. We don't belong here." She looked around. "We belong in the forest."

Lo'ak and Kiri looked down at the ground, anger displayed clear on their faces. Jake looked at his first born son. "Laya is welcome to join us. She is part of this family now." Neteyam looked up at his father and nodded.

"Do we have a choice?" Neteyam asked both of his parents. They both shook their heads.

Lo'ak grumbled. "Ugh.. stupid.."

Kiri looked to the water and sighed. She loved the ocean, and perhaps this experience would help her connect to the forest as much as she was connected to the ocean.

Eventually, all the kids agreed, either grumbling about it or giving up.

Neteyam was worried. The topic of his moving back had never really come up when he was with Laya, and now he was worried it would change something in their relationship. He didn't want to ask her to abandon her people, her way of life, but he knew he had no choice. It was either that, or they separate, which he knew neither of them could do. It was a heartbreaking decision either way, so he decided to talk to her about it.

He approached her room and gently knocked on her door.

Laya had spent most of the week resting and building her strength back up again. Her leg and neck were now fully healed. Nowadays she had spent most of her time either in her room or helping with healing others. She was currently stitching something in her room.

"Come in!" Laya called out. Neteyam opened the door and stepped in. He looked around awkwardly. Laya looked up at her boyfriend and let out a laugh. His eyes snapped to hers. "What?" He asked her. She shrugged. "You're being weird. Sit down, hang out with me." She said and returned to her stitching. He sat down next to her, trying to act as casually as he could.

Breaking the silence, Laya spoke up. "How's your dad? He all fixed up?" She asked him. Neteyam nodded. "He's doing good. Just a few bruises but he'll be okay." Laya nodded and silence filled the room again. Noticing the tension between them, Laya set down her supplies and huffed, looking at Neteyam.

"What's going on?" She asked him. He avoided her glance and looked down. "Whatdoyoumean?" He said quickly. She sighed and lifted his chin, forcing him to look at her. "I can tell something's up."

She paused. "Look, this relationship thing isn't going to work if you won't talk to me."

He nodded. She was right. He wasn't necessarily afraid of what she would do, more of the possibilities. Sitting up, he looked her in the eye. "I have some bad news.." He started. Laya waited for him to continue.

"My family is moving back. I'm going back to the forest."

That news shattered Laya's heart. One moment they were talking about his father, the next they were discussing his moving back. In just a small moment, her happiness vanished.

She cleared her throat. "What?" She asked him, and took a breath. He bit the inside of his cheek. "We're going back to the Omaticaya clan. Me, my parents, Lo'ak, Kiri, Tuk, and Spider."

She didn't know what to say. She knew this would happen eventually, they couldn't stay here forever, but she never wanted to think about it. She always imagined Neteyam staying here with her forever. She would imagine late night fishing, midnight swims, morning breakfasts filled with fish, and more. She had planned her future around him, and now he was moving? She never fully internalized how much of a stranger he was here. She always felt he belonged there with her.

"When?" She asked him, looking down. He swallowed. "I don't know, but probably soon. My mom is already packing." Laya let out a dry laugh. He tried to reassure her and interlaced their hands.

"There's something else." He said. She looked up at him. He had the smallest of smiles on his face.

"I want you to come with me."

Laya was frozen. She didn't know what to say. Of course she wanted to go, she would do anything for him, but the ocean was her life. Her family was here, her past, her childhood, her connection with Eywa. Her whole life was here. Then again, if Neteyam was leaving, was her life there? Would she feel empty there without him? As she did before he came? She bit her lip, deep in thought.

Neteyam waited patiently, giving her time to think. The silence was getting too much for him to bear though, because he started rambling.

"We can come back whenever you want- We'll try and make you feel as comfortable as possible- We can go swimming whenever you want-" He started. Laya just looked at him and kissed him on the cheek.

"Okay." Was all she said.

He paused his rambling and tried to fight back the smile that was growing on his face. "Really?" He asked her. She nodded. He leaned in and kissed her. She smiled into the kiss but broke them apart. He looked at her confused.

"Only if I can get an Ikran." She whispered. He smiled and kissed her again, wrapping his arms around her.

"We'll see." He mumbled against her lips.

AUTHORS NOTE: Short chapters lately, I know. I've been busy with work and school so I apologize for shorter and later chapters. Also! If you haven't already, please check out my other book, Tsaheylu - The Bond | Neteyam. Chapters will come out mostly daily, I'll try my best.