The True Meaning of Christmas

Written by Zelda_story_teller

You may think that Christmas is about presents and Christian Traditions, but Christmas is more than that. Way more.

Christmas is about love, family, friends and forgiveness. Christmas is a time of forgiveness and peace. As many songs say, "war is over". It's time to celebrate and share our gifts, our traditions, and whether you be in the snow, or under the blazing sun, we still all have something to share. But I'm not gonna sit here it and explain it to you boringly, I'll explain it to you through what I do best: Storytelling!

Ladies and gents, I present...

The True Meaning of Christmas | A Post Ocarina of Time Short Story

Link sat on his bed in his room in the castle. He had nowhere to stay, so he begged Zelda to let him stay at the castle.

Zelda.

The thought of her made his anger flare. Why was he angry at her? She didn't do anything wrong, she gave him his life back. Though sometimes he wished she had just left him dead. After he had died, he was peaceful. Finally able to rest without worry or self doubt.

He was lucky the Eight Sage's still remembered him. Time had reset, but their memories hadn't. He used to feel as if he were a child stuck in a man's body, where now he felt like a man stuck in a child's body. Zelda sent him back to live and spend his days as a child again. To live out his robbed childhood again, but it had no meaning. He already felt like an adult, and nothing could change that.

Link hadn't left his room for days. Most food had been left untouched. Impa and Zelda were worried about him. Zelda still remembered everything except her sacrifice. So really, she knew nothing of what he was experiencing.

Link watched the snow fall outside the window. Zelda had asked Link countless times to go carolling with her, but he had always said no.

"Oh come on, get into the Christmas spirit!" She'd always say, or, "where's your Christmas spirit?"

Link's spirit had deflated like a Santa inflatable thingy. Christmas used to be his favourite holiday, but he just couldn't find his spirit anymore.

A gentle knock on the door startled Link. It was probably one of Sage's.

"Link?" A female voice asked. "Can I come in?"

Link walked over and unlocked the door before siting back down the bed. The door gently opened, revealing Florence in Christmas-y clothes.

"Hey, why are you here and not out singing Christmas carols?" Florence asked.

"Why aren't you?" Link asked.

"If I hear one more version of Jingle Bells, I think I'll explode," Florence said, chuckling. "Link, you need to get out there. Christmas is about forgiveness, friendship, family and love. You need to forgive Zelda and realise she was only trying to do what she thought was best for you."

"I guess," Link said.

"I got something for you," Florence said, picking up a snow-globe. "Merry Christmas Link."

Link took the snow-globe from Florence. It was beautiful. The bottom was gold, with silver glitter balls on it. Inside the globe was the Eight Sages. The floor was the floor of the Sacred Realm and each Sage stood in their corresponding position, with Zelda and Link back-to-back in the centre of the circle. Rarau and Florence shared the spot of the Light Sage as they were each a Half Sage. When Link shook the globe, white glitter-snow flew up before raining, down creating a magical scene.

"Thank you Florence!" Link said. "I love it, truly!"

"Glad you like it, I made it myself," Florence said. "I'll leave you to your own devices. Goodbye Link."

🎄

Link ran down the halls and knocked on Zelda'a bedroom door. Zelda opened the door and she was in her carolling outfit.

"Yes?" She asked, raising an eyebrow upon seeing Link in Christmas clothes.

"I want to go carolling with you," Link said.

Zelda's face lit up before hugging him, squealing like a 4-year-old.

The two set off to go carolling. Link finally felt happy. He smiled, which he hadn't done in awhile.

Well, there you have it! This is actually part of the Epilogue from the Ocarina of Time Novelisation which is in the works. Once it's done, I'll post it. So, this chapter will make a little more sense when you read that.

Merry Christmas everyone!