Boyfriend

I know, I know.
Plus I define contradiction - I'm supposed to be on hold, and really focusing on studying because I missed the whole of last week of school and have exams the week after the next, but then inspiration strikes and I write. 

Boyfriend

The flames were hot, and although a fire was not to blame if it was fuelled and therefore fanned, Peyton’s conscience wouldn’t allow him any peace of mind.

I’m being such a brat.

I’m being such a selfish brat, actually.

Jayden was trying. He’d been careful not to let Peyton isolate himself from the group, often pulling him in, asking for his take, but there was only so much he could do when Peyton had decided he didn’t like that, either. It wasn’t that Jayden was making it obvious, nor was he in any way being patronizing – acting that way deliberately only because of their fallout the week before and unintentionally making Peyton feel embarrassed, but…

I’m being a selfish brat.

It wasn’t good enough for Peyton.

Sure, they were talking, and sure, there wasn’t any air of exclusivity around Tina and Jayden, but it wasn’t good enough.

I should be the one making Jayden laugh like that, not her.

Again, he was being ridiculously unreasonable, but seeing Jayden look at her with that admiring look every time he checked the mirror and hearing him laugh at any mildly amusing thing she said was too much to bear.

They’re sitting too close.

They weren’t, not really. The distance between them was ‘normal’, slightly closer than if they had sat in the middle of their seats, but if anything, too far for a couple. It didn’t matter though – Mandy and her boyfriend were in another vehicle.

So then there’s no need for them to be sitting close to each other at all.

“It was so much fun!” Kristina was saying, the smile on her face still intact.

“I don’t know, I’d have been amused if I were just an observer without having any work to do.”

“That’s because you’re a lazy…well, I mean no offense to cows, but you’re a lazy cow.”

Sarah laughed, to which Jayden nodded in agreement, causing both girls to erupt into yet another round of laughter.

“You can say that, but sometimes I think of it as being efficient – there’s no need to do too much either, you see. Right, Peyton?”

This was what he’d meant, though in this case it was more of him looking for backing because the girls would undoubtedly disagree, but yes, part of it was Jayden’s way of making sure his best friend wasn’t left out again.

The guilt had been immense when he’d found out initially – he’d gone home stunned – how had he not realized what was going on, and more importantly, how had he let things get that bad? He’d thought about turning around and returning to Peyton despite his eviction, but what would he say? Peyton needed to cool off, there was that too, but…how had he let this happen? Especially after the first day, when he’d vowed not to let this pretend relationship come in between his friendship?

Their rapid reconciliation and return to normalcy, he’d accepted with relief, and sworn that never again, and he meant it this time, would anything like that happen.

“How is preferring to be an observer rather than a reporter more efficient?

“He still gets the laughs you did but doesn’t need to worry about writing a story about it.” Peyton replied, eliciting a smile from Jayden, which he was quick to hide.