Just For You

Apologies for the ridiculously long break.

Just For You

“Sorry. The mobile subscriber cannot be reached. Please try again later.”

I wouldn’t consider myself to be short tempered or violent, exactly, but after being treated to the same pre-recorded voice for the seventeenth time, I could think of more than one way I’d like to kill the lady whose voice that was. And if I could get the founder of the network too, my day would be made.

Murphy probably had a law on this– when you really need to talk to your best friend because he seems mad at you, and you’re doubly scared because you’ve only just started talking to him like normal after a month, you will experience network problems.

I’d concluded that he was, indeed, annoyed with me. He’d started off as normally conversing with me, sort of, but when I’d asked why he hadn’t told me that he hadn’t had a test so I could have waited for him, his voice suddenly changed and he’d decided he was busy. After which he wished me a good night and cut my call.

Convenient that the network chooses to fail.

Wait a minute.

I felt myself frown at the thought. A moment of debating it after, I passed the judgment that it wasn’t possible. There was simply no way that was what was happening. Peyton wouldn’t have blocked me, would he?

It explained the whole ‘mobile subscriber cannot be reached’ thing, but…he wouldn’t block me! He’d never do that! Even when we weren’t talking because things were all screwed up after my confession, I’d still been able to reach his cellphone!

He’s blocked me.

I started to stand up- I had to go over and talk to him – then sat back down when I saw the time.

Add onto that law: And by the time you realize that it’s not the service provider, it will be almost midnight and even you’ll know that you’ll have to wait till the next morning.

Brilliant.

*

I think Mum almost had a heart attack when I told her I’d be going to school early.

*

“I thought you’d be here a little sooner.”

My forehead creased. Was it an accusation – you were meant to be earlier(!), or a statement – ah, I knew you’d have come a bit early?

“Not an accusation.”

And even after all these years of being friends, it hadn’t ceased to amaze me. I forced out a laugh. “Yeah…anyway,” I stopped. Anyway, what? Let’s get to why we made our parents choke on their breakfasts as we informed them that we intended to be early to school?

“Jay, I, uh, I kinda owe you an apology.” His words tumbled out, rushed, but he refused to meet my eyes.

I was somewhat surprised, admittedly. I hadn’t thought this was how this conversation would proceed – but then, I hadn’t thought of anything else, either. How were we meant to ‘talk about it’ when I wasn’t even sure what I’d done wrong? But then again, an apology wasn’t what I’d have imagined.

“Why do you say that?” I asked, curious.

“I overreacted yesterday. I went home and thought about it, and yeah, I was upset at first, you know, because I couldn’t believe it and all, but, uh, when I thought about it some more, I figured I was overreacting. You-you’ve got your own free will and-”