Beginnings

Just one night.

The stars could fall out of the sky tomorrow.

The violins and flutes vibrated against the walls of the ballroom, as bright and warm as the lines of gold on the polished floor. You had never seen so many smiles or heard so much laughter in one place; people dancing and chatting like each of them owned one of the dozens of white clouds gently rolling in the starry sky over the balcony.

So this was how the upper class lived. Was it always grand parties like this? Was life always this happy for them?

Well, it didn't matter. You weren't unhappy, really. Not usually.

This week... this week was the exception.

But tonight, you didn't want to think of your misery. You wanted to experience a different life for a day. You wanted to be someone bold and confident. Someone who commanded the room. Someone desirable.

And a masquerade ball was the best place to be nobody and somebody at the same time.

You straightened your dress - a long and lovely emerald and silver ballgown that your friend had made for you in her shop - and pulled your shoulders back as you walked around the edges of the room. It was difficult to look as if you belonged to the upper class when you didn't know anyone. But you had to do your best. If they found out you weren't invited to this party, they could have you arrested. It was already difficult for you to find work... getting arrested wouldn't help you at all.

"Champagne, mademoiselle?"

You turned to a man holding a tray of champagne flutes, bending at the waist to offer you one. You took it, momentarily recalling how to hold the stem, and nodding with appreciation.

"Who am I to say no to such a lovely potion?" you asked him as you took a sip.

He waited for a moment. "Is it to your liking?"

It bubbled on your tongue, some hints of peach in it. Was this a common champagne at parties? Or was it expensive? You weren't sure.

You raised the glass to toast to him.

"Light and delicate," you said. "Just the way I like it."

He nodded and continued on his route. You puffed out a quick, nervous breath before taking another sip and glancing around the room.

There was suddenly a gloved hand wrapping around your own.

You jumped. The owner of the hand was a man in a black coat and pants, his white shirt bursting with streams of gold. His mask was completely gold, hiding away everything except for his full lips which were now perked into a cocky smile.

"You're holding the flute incorrectly," he said.

He gently grabbed the flute with one hand and repositioned your hand with the other. He didn't take his eyes away from yours as the warmth of his hand seeped through his gloves and your own, his touch like a burning candle.

You forgot your breath for a moment. When he dropped his hand from yours, you regained your senses.

"A lady can't enjoy her drink with such strict rules, sir," you said teasingly, taking another drink.

"I can't enjoy a lady enjoying her drink when she does so improperly," he replied.

His lips puckered before he gave a devilish smile. Your thoughts faded for a moment.

"It's rude to stare," you eventually said.

You were relieved that he couldn't see the blood rushing to your face.