Rooftop

You fled down the hall and towards the stairs. You went up, higher and higher, getting lightheaded from both the exercise and the anxiety. It was only when you reached the top that you felt you had the chance to catch your breath.

Your chest and throat ached as you looked around, panting from your sudden sprint. You let out a breathy laugh at your own foolishness.

"Was it really so embarrassing, Y/N?" you asked yourself.

You shook your head, inhaling as deeply as you could. The stars were clear among the clouds, twinkling and sparkling in a thousand ways. It was both beautiful and, in some way, lonely. Each star was bright and beautiful... but they were all separated from one another, not a single star touching another.

You walked forward, looking up, waiting for one to fall across the sky.

"Cumulus clouds, I believe," a voice said behind you.

You were slightly surprised to see the golden-masked stranger behind you, looking up at the sky.

"I could be wrong," he continued. "I have a hard time keeping up with all the new sciences."

He dropped his head a bit to look at you, a playful smile across his lips once more.

"You followed me?" you asked.

He held up his palm in peace. "Only to apologize. It seems I startled you."

"The only startling thing is your poor manners," you threw back.

You held your head up. It was rather fun being someone else for a night. You were never allowed to be so forward in your daily life.

He chuckled behind you. "Yes, well, manners are quite expensive these days. I can only afford the poor ones."

He stepped up next to you, leaning against the railing on his elbow as he faced you. The more you stared into his eyes, the more familiar they seemed. His lips and nose as well. But you couldn't put all three of them together properly.

"You might burn a hole in my face if you stare any harder," he teased.

"I'm sure we've met."

"Perhaps," he replied with a shrug. "But this is a masquerade, milady. Even if we've met, we should pretend that we haven't. Isn't that the fun of it?"

There was something playful and gentle in his eyes. Maybe slightly broken.

"Do you wish to be someone else?" you asked.

He looked over his shoulder at the ground below, and then back up at the stars.

"At times," he admitted. "A man takes his success too seriously, I suppose. The problem is, he never truly knows if he's successful or not."

You tapped a finger against your cheek. "Do you have enough to eat?"

He nodded. "I eat well."

"A place to sleep?"

"A better place than most."

"A few close friends?"

He cocked his head to the side as he looked at you, taking a longer moment to answer.

"Yes," he said. "I have a few."

"Well, then what are you missing?"

His eyes narrowed thoughtfully behind his mask. "The love of a beautiful woman."

You swallowed, a pleasant uneasiness washing over you.

"And children to pass my wonderful personality on to," he added, looking away. "It's quite a shame."

"Perhaps in time," you replied empathetically.

"The question is, how much?"

He turned his head back to you, straightening as he stepped forward. You instinctively took a step back, even though you didn't really feel like you were in danger of any kind. If anything, you wanted to step in closer. If nothing else but to take off his mask and find out who he was.

"Shall we meet again?" he asked suddenly. "Outside of this formalwear, without the masks?"

There was something in you that immediately wanted to say yes... but you knew you didn't have the courage. At the end of the day, you were nothing more than a broke assistant cook, a nameless face in lower class.

And you were still in love with someone else.

"I can't," you said.

"Why?"

It was only a one-worded question, soft and gentle with genuine curiosity. But you had come to the masquerade to become a different person... because the person you truly were was quite pathetic in too many ways.

-> Say, "Because one must face reality eventually." (Go to REALITY)

-> Say, "Because I would rather keep this as a beautiful memory." (Go to FANTASY)