Wolves

Your heart was heavy in your chest as dinner ended. Your heart was so far down in your stomach that you couldn't even bring yourself to eat dinner, and instead, left the estate to walk along the riverbank to clear out your thoughts.

Namjoon and his fiance's families blended well together, the perfect image of upper class and business sense. His fiancee was graceful and kind, and it made you hate her even more in the pockets where you weren't hating yourself.

If you had came from another family, or if you had the social skills to be anything other than a cook –

No, you couldn't imagine another life for yourself. You loved your parents and your dreams. The issue was that they could never combine with a wealthy business son who cared more for business than love.

You knew you had to let him go even before he announced his engagement.

You couldn't stop the sigh that escaped your chest.

You stood next to the river until your nose and fingers ached from the cold wind, the moon high and cold despite all its light. A small voice tugged in the back of your mind to return back to the estate, but your feet remained rooted to the field next to the river.

There was nothing to go back to.

Suddenly, your shoulders were heavy and warm. You turned your head to find Jimin beside you with a melted smile, the wisps of moonlight picking up the light brown in his eyes.

"Jimin?" you asked, partly checking to understand if you were seeing him correctly.

"I thought you might be down here," he said with a chuckle. "It's the only place you go after curfew."

He suddenly frowned.

"But you need to stop going out alone like this," he added. "You never know what kind of wolves are lurking about."

You rolled your eyes. "The only one out here is you."

"And who said I wasn't a wolf?"

He raised an eyebrow at you pointedly

He raised an eyebrow at you pointedly. You only laughed and shook your head.

Jimin turned and looked at the water with you. you were both comfortably silent, not a word between you for some time as the water rushed in your ears.

"I want to run away," you admitted.

"Oh?" Jimin asked, more nonchalantly than you anticipated. "And where would you go?"

"Not to a place. To a different life."

He put his hands in his pockets.

"I'm not mad at my life," you continued. "There are so many good things in it. But I think I'm just tired. My soul is tired. I want to revitalize it somehow."

He laughed through his nose. "Is that why you keep sneaking out?"

You turned to him, surprised. He shook his head at you like you were a child.