Memories

"No," you whispered gently. "I think perhaps it's best to remain fond memories."

"Do you really believe that?"

You turned to look at him, unable to answer the question. Was it better to live in memories? You had done it for so long... you were just simply more comfortable in it.

After some time of silence, the man stood, and your heart sank with disappointment, assuming he was getting up to leave. Instead, he stepped in front of you, holding out his hand to you. You looked up.

"Then allow me to create a few more fond memories for you" he said. "I can't leave until you've had your fill."

His eyes were warm as he said it, something inviting you to take his hand.

So you did.

He helped you to your feet, then instantly took you into an intimate dance stance. You stepped back, surprised.

"Here?" you asked. "Like this?"

He nodded. "Here. With no one watching."

"But there's no music."

"Then I will teach you, milady," he said. "Let it be one more memory for you to keep."

You stared at him curiously and he smiled warmly, leading you in a new dance under the stars, the crickets and rustling leaves your only melody.

***

"More hot water in the pitchers and slice up the bread!"

"Got it!" you yelled back over the clanking dishes and silverware.

The party outside was going smoothly – much smoother than the chaos in the kitchen, anyways. You had been working all day to prepare for the Kim's business party, the release of their new jewelry line now official. As always, it was a massive success, as evident by the amount of people now in the Kim household.

Guest after guest poured in, most of them fashionably late in order to make a grand entrance. It reminded you of the grand entrance you experienced the night of the ball, nearly three months ago now. But you could still taste the champagne, you could still feel the cool air on your shoulders, and you still remember the scent of the man you had danced with... the one that you had decided should stay a memory.

You regretted turning that stranger down more and more as time passed on. Perhaps he was only a flirt, but at the very least, he would have been a great distraction.

But the only distraction you had now was your job. Unfortunately, that job was working for Namjoon Kim – the man you were in love with, the one who was engaged to someone else.

You took two of the hot water pitchers by their handles and made your way out to the main hall, towards the tables of food and drink. Your eyes scanned the room on their own accord, naturally zeroing in on Namjoon.

He was standing with his beautiful fiancee on the side of the room, both of them the picture of graceful business and wealth as they talked with their associates. Even at a party, it was clear that Namjoon was still focused on his work, shaking the hands of those in front of him and wording "Thank you" and "I appreciate" from what you could see. He was always good to his staff and gracious to his business partners. That was one of the things you noticed first about him. But it was useless to notice, however, since now it was impossible not to notice the woman next to him.

"The man too admirable, I assume?"

You spun to the voice next to your ear. When the face registered, you dropped both pitchers of water, their contents spilling all over the floor as one of them shattered. Before you could speak, you were yanked out of the way of the boiling water, vaguely registering it as it splashed the tips of your toes. It was no competition for your racing heart, however, that was overwhelming your chest as you looked into a pair of eyes you hadn't seen in years. A pair of eyes you thought you'd never see again.

Masquerade (BTS x Reader One Shot)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें