Chapter 4: Abigail

A very long week had passed since I hurt my foot and I was eventually given the all-clear to walk on it and I was spending the day at the club while Duke worked. There was still a lot on my to-do list and this wasn't going to get any of it done. Which was why I was currently scheming to get away for a couple of hours, to get some shopping done. I doubted Duke even knew what to buy everyone, he was useless when it came to gifting sometimes.

Eva barreled into the room with Rachael running hot on her tail. Surprise coursed through me seeing her, but Eva distracted me quickly. "Mama!" She called out, launching into my lap.

"Are we misbehaving?" I attempted to give her a stern look but I was greeted with puppy eyes. Something I had a hard time saying no to.

"I'm sorry, I couldn't stop her." Rachael panics.

"That's okay, I know how much of a handful she can be. What sort of trouble was she getting up to?"

"She was trying to steal food from the club staff."

"Nuh-uh!" Eva pipes up, immediately silenced when she looks at my serious face.

"Eva, you have to ask politely for food if you are hungry."

"But I was too hungry! It couldn't wait."

I try to stifle and smile while keeping my serious face on. Pregnant me would have agreed with her a couple of years ago. "You still have to wait, even if you are too hungry."

Eva's face scrunches up in distaste, her little mind contemplating my answer.

"Are you still hungry?"

"Yes!"

"Then I suppose I should get you some food." I pick her up and start walking to the door.

"Oh, I don't think you should be walking!" Rachael stands in front of me.

My eyebrows raise in suspicion. "Says who?"

"Well, you know. You only injured it a week ago and all."

"How would you know this? You haven't been in contact with the Skulls MC for a long time. Why are you here today?"

Rachael saved me three years ago from Pavel's wrath. As soon as Ryder laid eyes on her, I could tell some sort of obsession had started. I saw the same look in Duke's eyes all those years ago. But when she was saved, we relocated her. Somewhere under the radar.

Her face started to blush and my suspicions were confirmed. It was something Duke was worried about too.

"I tell you what. Why don't you head back to the kitchen with Eva and get her some food? Can you also keep Duke distracted while I go out and get some Christmas shopping done? You can't tell him."

Conflict blooms in her eyes and she warily takes Eva off of me. "Okay."

"And after I come back, we're going to have a chat about the last two years. I need to know everything that has happened." I warn, walking through the door.

My mind was whirring with so many thoughts about Rachael. The last time I saw her was at my wedding. Even then, she only briefly made an appearance before making a run for it after the ceremony. I'd been concerned about her for months, years even and now she randomly appears. It wasn't worth thinking about right now, there were more pressing matters to think about, such as Christmas shopping.

I made it to the car park before realising I only had my phone on me. I hadn't even thought to check for car keys or my purse, seeing as I was distracted by Rachael's return.

"Going somewhere?" Duke's gravelly voice questions.

My body refuses to turn as I try to think of some sort of lousy explanation. "I left something of Eva's in the car, I was just running out to get it."