2. Treasured Meeting

"Hatter, can I open my eyes now?"

"Not yet, friend-o. Just a little further..."

The Hatter grins widely as he guides his blindfolded rabbit friend through the sunny woodland toward his cottage, ensuring they are going in the right direction from behind. The two then stop near a fancy-decorated table filled with tea sets and selections of treats and chairs surrounding the rectangular surface. The two chairs that stand out most are larger and coloured green and red, placed opposite one another from the table. The Hatter lets out a very excited squeal before untying the blindfold on his clueless friend's head.

"Ok...you can look now!" The Hatter announces, letting the blindfold fall from his friend's face and reveal the surprise he had planned. His friend gasps in shock at the display, taking a few steps toward it in amazement.

"Hatter...this is...this is extravagant! You did all of this yourself?" The March Hare asks with delight, glancing around the table at all the colourful tea supplies and cake stands, holding treats like cupcakes, scones, jam tarts, butter cookies and much more.

"Of course! Every day I hold tea parties for anyone who wishes to attend. There are a lot of people who love to come and enjoy the tea and treats I prepare. I am an excellent host so I ensure anyone invited, which is everyone, has the most wonderful time!" The Hatter explains with a glimmering look in his emerald irises.

"My, that is impressive, Hatter. You are truly something to do this every day for the enjoyment of others," The March Hare states with admiration.

"Yes yes, it is something I love most. However, it has gotten quite...daunting to do all by myself. I adore chatting with the guests but...well...I cannot help but feel lonely," The Hatter states with a frown, looking down at the sparkling grass beneath him. "I would wish to have someone I can endlessly talk to and have fun with even after the tea party has concluded, you see?"

"Ah...so that's why you prepared all this for me?" The March Hare asks, sympathy prevalent in his eyes.

"Well, yes. When I first met you, well...this place wasn't in the best conditions, nor was I. But now that I have you, I can make this tea party wonderous once more. You give me purpose and motivation, my friend. So now, I want us to have a proper meaningful tea party as a formal welcome," The Hatter says with glee. "I have all your favourites that you told me about the day we first met, because what kind of friend would I be if I had forgotten, right?"

"Oh yeah! You have strawberry jam tarts! You're so sweet, Hatter," The March Hare gasps with joy, setting his gaze on the display of sugar-coated jam tarts, stacked on stands to resemble a sort of tower.

"This is your very first tea party with me, my friend. It must be perfect for you," The Hatter states with a satisfied smile. "Now come, take your seat and I'll let you try my finest tea."

The Hatter rushes to the table and picks up the antique teapot as the March Hare lowers himself into the red and gold seat, awaiting his friend with excitement. The Hatter strolls to the March Hare's side and pours the steaming liquid into the cup sitting in front of the March Hare on its saucer. Once the cup is full, the March Hare picks it up and takes a gentle sip as the Hatter stares at his friend eagerly.

"Ah, wow! This is...this has to be the best tea I have ever tasted, Hatter! This is truly one of a kind, I cannot even begin to explain!" The March Hare exclaims as he takes a few more sips of from the cup.

"I'm so glad you love it, my friend. I just knew you would. Hatter's intuition, hehe," The Hatter claims with delight as he strolls to his own chair opposite his friend and takes a seat, pouring himself his own serving of the tea. "We should certainly plan more of this. There is so much we can do, March."

"Of course! We have all the time in the world, do we not? Besides, there's still so much I don't know about you. Your daily life seems so interesting, with these tea parties you hold," The March Hare says with a curious look in his eyes.

"Oh, well...it isn't too interesting really. My personal time is quite different to how I am during my parties. I have lived alone in my cottage for so long, so it has been quite...well...desolate," The Hatter explains with a darkened look in his gaze, glancing down at his tea dismissively.

"Yes, that must have been very hard for you, Hatter. Nevertheless, you don't have to be alone anymore. I'm here and I'm not going anywhere. That's a promise," The March Hare vows confidently, giving a reassuring smile to the reluctant Hatter. His emerald eyes light up at this promise and his smile returns once more.

"Absolutely, friend-o. I'll cherish all the time we will spend together until the end of time!" The Hatter declares, jumping onto his chair and giving an ecstatic twirl.

"Oh, Hatter, there is no such thing. Time never truly ends. We all just...run out of it. It is how we choose to spend that time that makes it worth losing," The March Hare speaks insightfully, holding his teacup and saucer close to him. "And I very much look forward to spending that time by your side."

The Hatter's smile only widens at this insight from his most precious friend, sitting back in his chair and raising his cup to the blue sunny sky.

"To new beginnings, my dear friend," The Hatter declares, the March Hare raising his cup also.

"To new beginnings...," The March Hare repeats as the two sip their cups thoughtfully, proceeding to the tea party and remaining there for hours on end, never growing tired of one another's company in the lone woodland surrounded by foliage and the many adorable creatures...

...relishing their new beginning.