10. Near Death

"Do you suppose Mrs. Carroll would like to attend tomorrow's tea party, Hatter?" The March Hare questions as he and the Hatter walk side by side down the path of the woods, tea party invites held in their hands that they have been passing out to the denizens of Wonderland.

"Oh yes, she has been dying to try my newest herbal tea. Rose has been helping me collect the infusions and has given me tips on how to enhance the flavour," The Hatter explains. "I should hope that she also makes it, as she never seems to leave her springs at all."

"Well, I suppose it is where she feels most safe. You never really know what is lurking around these woods," The March Hare states, glancing around the woods cautiously.

"Don't fret so much, friend. I've come out into these woods plenty of times and nothing has happened to me. Although, I don't think I've really ever been to this part of the woods before," The Hatter claims as he looks at his unfamiliar surroundings. Another thing that catches his eye is just how dim it has gotten around them, as well as a slight increase in fog. It's strange, considering it was just clear and sunny not a moment ago. It should not be getting dark this fast.

"Neither have I. Just where are we?" The March Hare asks.

"Hmm, perhaps we should retreat onto the trail back home, March. We wouldn't want to get lost again, would we. These woods tend to play tricks on wanderers," The Hatter states as he and the March Hare turn their heels and make their way down the path back to their home. As they are walking, however, the March Hare suddenly stops and turns to the darkness of the woods. The Hatter notices this and turns to face his friend.

"March? What is the matter?" The Hatter questions, looking at his confused friend as he stares off into the distance.

"Did you...? Did you hear someone calling me?" The March Hare asks, his eyes fixed onto the distance.

"Hm? The only person calling for you was me, silly. I did not hear anybody else," The Hatter responds with a slight chuckle, but the March Hare does not seem to find any humour in the current situation.

"There's no way...could he have...?" The March Hare mutters, his eyes growing weary as he continues to stare off into the distance.

"March, what are you talking about? Have you fallen ill? We should get you back home before you catch a cold. It is quite chilly out here," The Hatter suggests, placing a hand on the March Hare's shoulder.

"No, I...I'm sorry, Hatter. Would it be okay if we go look over there a moment?" The March Hare asks, finally turning to look at the Hatter. The Hatter notices the look his friend is giving him. Those eyes...they show sorrow and desperation. Whatever the March Hare thinks he heard, it seems it is quite personal to him. The Hatter does not have a good feeling about this, as his Hatter's intuition is telling him, yet there's a part of him that is telling him to go.

'You wouldn't want to let him down, would you?'

He pushes all his worries deep down within himself and gives his friend a cheerful smile. "Of course, friend. We can check it out if you wish. I shall accompany you should you get lost."

"Thank you, Hatter. Come on, I heard it from over here," The March Hare says gratefully as he and the Hatter stray from the path into the trees to find the source of the supposed voice the March Hare is hearing. The two soon find themselves in a darkened part of the woods, with large dark trees and oversized mushrooms surrounding the area. The plant life is deceased and the fog has grown thicker.

"Oh dear, I can barely see around here. I fear if we go in any deeper, we may not find out way back," The Hatter states as he tries to see past the fog. The March Hare glances around the area in bewilderment, but cannot seem to find anyone.