3. Rabbit Recollections

"New beginnings. It was all because of that moment. The moment you gave me hope and restored my reality. My perception of time and life itself. It was all because you were there, March, that I wanted to continue to a whole new chapter," The Hatter explains with a tired pleading look at the man in blue. "This was a crucial moment in our lives. Surely you couldn't have forgotten that completely, right?"

Mario can only give a saddened gaze at the Hatter's glimmer of hope and looks down at the stained table cloth he rests his elbow upon. "No...I'm sorry. I have no memory of that at all."

"...no memory...at all...?" The Hatter mutters under his breath, a slight twitch in his head as he tries to compose himself. He takes a deep breath before looking back up at Mario, trying his best to appear well. "That's ok. I suppose it can't be so easy, can it? Based on the severity of your memory loss, this may take much more."

"But Hatter, I don't have-," Mario tries to explain but the Hatter's watch sounds off once more, causing his face to light up with excitement.

"Ah! 6 pm! Tea time! Tea Time!" The Hatter cries, reaching over to the teapot and pouring himself more tea into his cup, causing it to overflow and spill onto the already dirty tablecloth.

"Huh? But, wasn't it already-?" Mario tries to question, baffled at the Hatter's watch chiming 6 pm yet again. Perhaps his watch is broken and he has lost track of time?

"You know, this reminds me very fondly of a time when I met someone quite strange in these woods. This was after you went missing so I was all alone at the time. It was a strange fellow, yet he reminded me so much of you," The Hatter claims, sipping his tea thoughtfully.

"Really? Who was this 'strange fellow'?" Mario asks curiously.

"It was a rabbit, just like you. Or, well, the old you. Only, he was much taller and had different features entirely. He had dirty-blonde hair and piercing-grey eyes. He seemed quite intimidating at first when he stumbled across my home but he was not dangerous at all. In fact, he seemed quite jittery, always checking his watch claiming to have forgotten the way to the place he needed to go. I can't remember where though," The Hatter describes, recollecting the memory of meeting this strangely familiar-sounding person.

"Wait, hold on. Are you referring to the White Rabbit?" Mario questions.

"Yes! That was indeed his name. He carried a pocket watch just like me, but he seemed to have time all mixed up. A very anxious fellow, that man," The Hatter states.

"Riba...," Mario mutters under his breath, looking down in thought.

"Hm? What was that?" The Hatter asks.

"Wait! Oh no, I completely forgot! I was out here helping him. I was supposed to help him cross the bridge by the river!" Mario exclaims, peering out back to the darkness of the misty woods.

"Ah, you met him too? What a small world we live in," The Hatter chuckles.

"I have to go find him. He has probably been waiting all this time for me," Mario states as he stands from the chair and prepares to take off.

"Woah Woah-oh-ho! Wait a second!" The Hatter protests as he stands from his own chair and rushes to block Mario's way. "You can't just leave! Not in the middle of our catch-up session, friend."

"I'm really sorry, Hatter, but the White Rabbit needs my help. I can't leave him," Mario exclaims, trying to get past the Hatter.

"But what about me? You wouldn't want to leave your old friend all alone again, would ya? I mean, not after reuniting after so long," The Hatter states, continuing to block Mario's path.

"Hatter, no! I don't have the time right now," Mario refuses as he succeeds in getting past the Hatter and makes his way towards the dark woods.

"The time? Why...who has the time? Nobody ever has much time on their hands. That's something you taught me," The Hatter explains as Mario stops walking away, yet not turning to face the Hatter quite yet. "You taught me that time is precious and that we should spend it with those we cherish. Then it would be worth losing when our time is up. Would the time you have not be wasted chasing after rabbits in a dark forest?"

Mario, while tempted to leave and go find the White Rabbit, can't help but think about what the Hatter is telling him. Is he saying that trying to find the White Rabbit, nay, trying to find a possible way out is a waste of time? Surely not..right?

"It was what you taught me, even if you do not remember. Wonderland is scarce, Mario, and chasing your own tail will only make your time run out quicker. If you wander aimlessly...that time could be cut short," The Hatter claims as Mario turns to look at him, bewildered by what he is saying.

"I...I just have to try...right? The White Rabbit could know the way out. He could help me. I want to leave more than anything," Mario says hopefully, yet still seeming dejected.

"But then what? Who do you seek when you do manage to get where you want to go? Friends? Family? Home? Why go through so much trouble searching when...you're already there?" The Hatter asks, his eyes almost seeming dead as he speaks. It feels different to Mario, but he can't pinpoint why. This madman who speaks in a goofy and excited tone suddenly feels blank and grounded in reality. It doesn't feel right.

"Hatter...I don't understand," Mario states with nervousness.

"Just...please, Mario. Can't you just...stay a little longer? The loneliness of these woods is enough to drive anyone mad if they are not careful enough. The last thing I want is for you to meet that same fate," The Hatter pleads, approaching Mario slowly and cupping his hands together to his chest. "I...cannot handle losing a friend again."

Mario looks down in thought, feeling his heart fill with sympathy for this poor man. The loneliness must be the reason for his mind being all over the place. Leaving him alone would only make him feel more pain. Especially when he resembles that of his dearly departed brother. He just can't find it in his heart to leave.

"Fine...how about this, Hatter? I'll stay for a little longer and then maybe you can come with me when I have to go," Mario suggests, trying to find some sort of compromise.

"Ah, really? Why, that sounds just perfect, friend! Trust me, you won't regret it! Now please, come sit back down," The Hatter beams with excitement, ushering Mario back to his seat with his arm wrapped around his shoulder. Mario still feels an extreme sense of dread by this decision, but cannot fight against it. After all, this could very well be the last remaining remnant of his brother left in this mad world. He can't leave him behind. Not again.

Mario sits back in his seat while the Hatter takes a seat next to him, looking around thoughtfully.

"Hmm...you know the way you were so insistent to leave just now...it reminds me of a time I had once with you, or the March Hare specifically. It was such a precious memory of mine. Well, all the memories I had with you are precious, but this one is one of the best ones," The Hatter says excitedly. "Maybe if I tell you this one, it will trigger the memory in you and you'll regain it in your own mind!"

"Uhm, I'm not so sure, Hatter. But I suppose I'm open to hearing it while I'm here," Mario meekly accepts.

"Perfect! Now, this one is most interesting, so make sure you pay close attention!" The Hatter says as Mario gets ready to listen, trying to dismiss the growing anxiety gnawing at him.

"It all started...in an orchard."