11. Left Behind

"I never asked who this 'Luigi' was back then, as I felt ensuring your wellbeing was more important. I was always curious about it, but I thought it would be best to simply let it go. Whoever he is, though, you also seem to know about him," Hatter claims. "Tell me, friend, who is this 'Luigi', and why is it you confuse me for him so often?"

Mario cannot give a response, as he is still deep in thought, with a look of bafflement overtaking his face. He rests his head in his hands as he tries to make sense of what the Hatter just explained. The March Hare really did know about Luigi. How? What could possibly explain this? It has to be a trick, right? A trick that this world has come up with. Could the Hatter simply be so out of his head that he is making stuff up? No, he doesn't seem like the type of person to just make things up, regardless of his current mental state. And with how much detail he provided, how the March Hare acted, it all has to mean something. But what? 

He can hear his heart pounding out of his chest now, his mind rushing with all the possible explanations for this, all leading to dead ends each time. He is beginning to feel physical discomfort from how much confusion he is experiencing that the world around him begins to blur. 

"Hey, friend? You seem bothered by something. Could it be that you finally remember?!" Hatter asks excitedly. "It was a pretty scary event for you. You were left shaken up about it for a while after, so I doubt you'd be able to forget about that so easily."

"No, no this isn't right. None of this is possible. How could the March Hare have known about him?! What does this all mean?!" Mario cries, shaking his head trying to put the pieces together.

"I'm not sure myself, it was just something you used to call me. I'm not sure if it is just some kind of nickname you wanted to call me or if I reminded you of someone you once knew, but that's what often happened," The Hatter explains. 

"But none of this makes any sense! The March Hare can't have known about him. Is...Is this some kind of delusion you're having? There's no way that actually happened, Hatter," Mario denies quickly. 

"Delusions? Why would I have delusions about you? I may be mad, but I wouldn't have delusions about a name I do not know, Mario," Hatter says. "This is one of the reasons I do believe you are my lost friend. There aren't many 'Luigis' around Wonderland that I have seen so it would be quite the coincidence, would it not?"

"I...no...no there has to be some kind of reason for this. Any kind of reason. I...I know I'm not the March Hare! It can't be because of that. It wouldn't make any sense!" Mario cries.

"Please calm down, friend. You shouldn't panic about this. It's not as if that is the only similarity you and the March Hare have with one another. There is an abundance of things you both share that convinces me you are one in the same," The Hatter tries to reassure, but is immediately shot down by Mario.

"We aren't the same! I'm my own person! I've lived my own life! I have a home! I had a family! I have friends! I have an entirely different life that has nothing to do with this place!" Mario yells, feeling his mind crumbling in that very moment that he cannot control his words or his train of thought. All he can think about is the life he had lived up until this point with those he loved and the life he lived. In the kingdom. Among the Toads, the Yoshis, going on adventures, saving people, stopping evil, having fun with those he cares about. His brother, the princesses, the many friends he has made on his quests...they're all real. They all exist. Wonderland has never been his home. So why? How is this possible? 

This is all too similar to that other place, the very life he used to live that was the reason for all the horrors and tragedies that have occurred. How many lives can he possibly live? How many times must he endure this without going even more insane?