4. Among The Trees

"This is the place, Hatter," The March Hare announces as he and The Hatter take a stroll into a very vibrant-looking orchard, the trees dangling the purest red apples, seeming to shine as the rays of sun hits them through the gaps of the branches. "These should be perfect for the apple pie."

"My my, you're right, friend! These are the most beautiful-looking apples I have ever seen," The Hatter says with amazement, placing down his straw basket to admire the orchard. "Do you come here often, March?"

"Of course. Someone showed me this place who is very fond of apples. They mentioned this is a peaceful spot to have some time to ourselves with nature. This place is quite relaxing," the March Hare explains, placing his hand on one of the trees gently. "I don't see him anymore though. I have no idea where he went."

"Ah, that's a shame. But whoever this person is was certainly right about this place. All of these apples are almost enchanting to gaze upon. It's as if one bite would give me the most delightful blessing," The Hatter states, climbing up one of the trees and resting on the branch, gazing at all of the apples above him.

"Indeed, these apples have impressive healing properties and give strength to anyone who takes a bite. Not to mention the taste and scent is enough to draw anyone in. However, it is best not to consume too much, as these particular apples are prone to causing drowsiness and even unconsciousness if it surpasses 5 apples in one day," The March Hare explains as he reaches to a lower hanging branch and picks an apple from it. "I suppose not every blessing is without a curse."

"Is that so, friend? That's very interesting. I'm sure enough of these will be perfect to bake into treats for tomorrow's tea party, but not too many as you mentioned. Wouldn't want our guests falling asleep, now would we?" The Hatter states, carefully standing himself upon the tree branch and reaching up to pick a few of the apples and toss them into his basket below.

"Just make sure you be careful up there, Hatter. We don't want to have to use any of these on you if you hurt yourself. Haha," The March Hare advises with a chuckle.

"Don't worry about me, friend. I'm a hatter. We are not so careless as to get ourselves hurt from trees," The Hatter reassures as he continues to toss apples into his basket.

"I know. I just want to make sure you-," The March Hare says as he picks up his basket and strolls to find some more apples to pick, but stops dead in his tracks and stares off into the distance.

"Make sure I what?" The Hatter asks as he continues reaching for apples.

"What...? Who...? Is that..?" The March Hare mutters as he stares off into the woods past the trees. The Hatter directs his attention away from the trees and glances at his friend, who seems entranced by something.

"March? Are you ok?" The Hatter calls out. The March Hare doesn't respond and continues facing the trees. He drops his basket of apples and begins to saunter towards the trees in an emotionless state.

"Not you...not you..." The March Hare mutters under his breath, seeming to be unaware of the rest of his surroundings. His eyes seem to be blank as they stare off into the distance, yet they show a gaze of dread. The Hatter has no idea what could have caught his attention, but he feels an intense pit in his stomach, sensing something is greatly wrong with his friend.

"March! Hey, where are you going? You can't leave yet!" The Hatter cries out, still trying to balance himself in the tree. But his friend doesn't even seem to hear him and is still so intent on approaching the distance. Hatter is beginning to panic internally now. He can't let his friend leave to who knows where. He needs to do something to stop him, but how can he do that from up the tree?

Then it hits him. It's reckless and careless, but he acts on impulse.

Before the March Hare can roam too far, The Hatter throws himself out of the tree and lands feet first on the ground, immediately keeling over with an outcry of pain. This sudden cry finally gets the March Hare's attention and he whips his head around to witness his hurt friend, gripping his ankle tightly.

"Hatter!" The March Hare gasps as he sprints over to his friend and drops to his knees beside him. "Are you ok?! Your ankle!"

"Nngh...whoopsie daisy. Guess I, heh, lost my footing..." The Hatter chuckles, still clenching his foot.

"I told you to be careful, Hatter. We need to get you home," The March Hare says as he wraps his arm around the Hatter's shoulder.

"Heh, sorry, friend-o. Bet you're glad you didn't walk away into the unknown after all, huh? Who else would be better at taking care of me than you?" The Hatter says with a smile, receiving a confused look from the March Hare.

"Huh? What do you mean me walking away? Ugh, you know what? It doesn't matter right now. Come on, let's get you home so we can take care of your foot," The March Hare says as he helps the Hatter up. "Looks like these apples will be coming in handy after all."

"Hehe...you always know how to look out for me, March. Thank you for not leaving me," The Hatter says gratefully, limping beside the March Hare.

"Don't be silly, Hatter, I'll always be here for you, no matter what," The March Hare reassures with a smile, guiding the Hatter back to their cottage.

"I knew you'd never leave me. We are friends for the rest of time and beyond..."