8. Surprise

Fitting his signature hat upon his head and slipping into his checkered green coat, The Hatter prepares himself for another glorious day. For some reason, this day feels more special than the others, but Hatter cannot pinpoint why. Oh well, every day is a special day when it is spent drinking tea and hosting parties. He must request the March Hare to prepare the tea party with him as soon as possible. The Hatter peers at the clock in his room: 06:00. The time the Hatter always awakens. He is grateful that he has so many clocks to keep track of the time, however he wishes it could be easier to check the time during his day. It could make for a more convenient mean of preparing the tea parties and keeping track of when his guests arrive.

He fixes his hat so it is not askew and makes his way out of his bedroom, but as he does, he smells a sweet scent looming throughout the house, luring him into the kitchen. He peers around the corner to see the kitchen decorated with daisies in hand-crafted vases and red & green helium balloons strung around the home. There is also a hand-crafted banner placed upon the wall that reads 'Happy Birthday!' with balloons around it. The Hatter's face displays visible confusion. Who could have put so much time into decorating his kitchen for something like this? His question is soon answered as he glances to the oven to see a pair of rabbit ears adding the finishing touches on a layered iced cake, decorated with fondant hats and edible flowers. The March Hare hasn't seemed to notice the Hatter's presence until he glances behind him and jumps slightly at the Hatter looking around the kitchen, dumbfounded.

"Ah! Hatter! I didn't think you'd be up yet. There was still so much more for me to prepare," The March Hare states, trying his best to cover the rest of the cake with his body.

"My word, friend. What is all this? Are you preparing for someone's party without me?" The Hatter questions, receiving a giggle from the March Hare.

"Don't be silly, Hatter. Happy Birthday!" The March Hare says joyously as the confusion in the Hatter rises.

"Birthday? My birthday? Why...is that what day it is?" The Hatter asks with surprise.

"Of course. What, did you forget?" The March Hare questions with a grin still plastered on his face.

"I'm not sure, friend. I honestly don't remember when my birthday is. I suppose I haven't celebrated it in a long time. Say, how do you know my birthday? I don't recall ever telling you," The Hatter asks, receiving a slightly nervous response from March.

"Oh, you didn't? Um...well...uh...," The March Hare stammers, seeming to think of an explanation. "I mean...what kind of friend would I be if I didn't know when it was? I should be able to know even without you telling me, isn't that right?"

The Hatter thinks for a second and immediately looks at the March Hare with an energised expression. "Why, that's right! You are my very good friend. Of course you know about it! I'm terribly sorry to doubt you, March."

"Now now, no need for that. I could never forget your special day. I've had to go all out to make today extra special. Especially for your cake!" The March Hare explains as he steps out of the way to allow the Hatter to admire the cake he was working on. It is truly an elegant looking three-tiered white-icing cake with edible flowers, fondant hats and tea pots, and green candles with the words "Happy Birthday, Hatter" on the side with a larger hat that resembles the Hatter's signature hat placed atop the cake. The Hatter simply stared at the creation in awe, never having received such a gorgeous cake.

"My word, March...what an elegant cake. It looks akin to that of royalty. I never knew you were so talented in such craft. And you did all of this overnight, friend?" The Hatter gawks as he refuses to take his eyes off of the rich iced cake.

"Well, let's just say I've been taught well in the past. I knew I had to give it my all to make this day special for you, just like always," The March Hare states proudly, pleased with the Hatter's amazement of his abilities.