Practicing Kindness

"Oh, Becky's gone," Anya uttered as she returned, a pack of peanuts on her hand.

"She said she'll pay that Pete guy a visit. She liked the chocolate, it seems."

"I know," Anya replied. "Pete is a kind gentleman. I would love for Becky to date him."

"Uh-huh." Damian curtly responded, anxious about their topic. It's just the two of them now. Wait, Becky purposely made this happen, didn't she? She mustn't be interested to that Pete guy but she left them anyway.

Spending time alone with Anya is a rare chance. He should make the most of it.

"Forger, let's walk together to class."

Anya whipped her long pink hair, bouncy curls falling in a twist around her slim waist. "Uh, what? You're going to class with me?!" Anya asked in surprised tone, her emerald green eyes sparkling like a child getting a treat.

"Like we can avoid each other. We're taking the same path, ending at the same hall. But don't feel forced to-"

Anya nodded happily. "Yes! Then off we go!" Damian's ears reddened a shade.

Splash.

"Oh my! I'm so sorry!" the passing student exclaimed. She bumped onto Anya, drink spilling into the tray and into the pink-head's uniform.

Stay put, Damian. Forger can handle herself.

Damian saw Anya stare at the girl, the eerie kind that he sees just before Anya dishes out a golden advice that makes him reach a decision on anything difficult. After every such encounter he felt like he's been mind-read.

"It's okay, it's just a little spill. No need to worry—"

"No. It's not okay," Damian cuts her off, raising his arm. This is no time for random kindness; Anya's uniform was ruined. The girl must be reprimanded. "You'll be reported right away. Your name?"

"Mr. Desmond, please! I-I promise to be mindful! I'm really sorry. It's just that something happened and—"

Anya went in front of Damian. "Sy-on boy. Please."

Damian stared at Anya, his mind shouting at her to stand aside and let the girl be reprimanded. Anya shook his head at him, as if getting his message, to the scion's amazement. Either telepathy is a thing or he's facial expressions are too easy to read. The former is absurd so it's probably the latter.

For God's sake, Desmond... Be a little nicer. Grow up! Phantom Becky flashed in his mind. What, is he being overprotective?

Anya's too kind. She's always been. But she's also a strong person. Other people won't get away stepping over her. She can make her own decisions and handle herself. Less the drooling and her childish antics, Anya actually seemed more mature than him in real life.

He let out a big sigh, resigning to Anya's plea. He moved sideways with crossed arms. Anya nodded at Damian, turning to face the girl.

"As I were saying... It's alright. Your name is Mary, right?"

"Y-Yes..." she said, shyly meeting Anya's gaze.

"I heard the other day that your family business is going through tough times. I'm sorry to hear that, Mary. However, try not to let it affect you too much. Just keep doing your best in school! I know you'll get through it soon," Anya encouraged with a smile. The girl's distressed face softened a little.

There's the girl he fell in love with. Listening to her made him swell with pride. That's my Anya.

"Go on, take your lunch before break time's over," Anya told Mary. Mary looked at Anya's ruined uniform.

"A-Are you sure?" Mary asked. Anya nodded at her, smiling.

"You are so kind, Miss Anya. Thank you very much!" Mary bowed before Anya and Damian, a weak smile on her lips, then hurriedly left.

"See that, Sy-on boy? A little dash of kindness goes a long way for people not as fortunate as you."

Damian sighed.

"Got the point. But you do know you're at risk of getting tonitrus with your ruined uniform, don't you? And that's for a person you don't even know."

Yeah, he swears they don't know each other. So how did Anya even know her name? Anya flinched as Damian thought, the boy noticed.

"I-I know that," she stuttered. "I'll think of a way to avoid it somehow, a sensible explanation perhaps, with you as my witness?" Anya's pleading gaze tried to meet Damian's eyes but the latter avoided. "But we know that Mary's going through something and she didn't mean what happened."

"She didn't mean it, huh. What if she hates you or something? You're not a mind reader, you don't know that."

"Well... As a matter of fact, I do," she winked at him, confusing Damian and turning his cheeks into a pink shade. "Anyway, I appreciate what you did, Sy-on boy, especially when you allowed her to leave. You should be kind more often, it suits you."

"You..." But Damian was unable to offer a snarky response.

Anya continued to dry herself with the moist and overused tissue. Once it reached its peak usefulness, she tossed it in the nearby trash can, the splash of liquid still visible in her clothes.

Damian gentlemanly checked the extent of the spill. Ladies uniform is a black dress anyway with a long sleeved white blouse underneath. Surely it's fine. That is, until he noticed the exposed part of her white blouse that covered her upper chest, wet and clinging to the pale skin underneath.

Damian instantly looked away, his face burning.

Dammit!

~~~~~