Mettle Meter

Imperial scholar business —that has been keeping Damian busy. A crazy amount of extra work for the already hardworking. After all, responsibilities come with the prestige of being called an imperial scholar. He still manages to study somehow, thankfully. However, it was only now, two weeks since that rather intimate afternoon, did he realize that something was off.

Right. He had not spoken to a certain sweet strawberry-smelling nut-head and taken in her radiance and cheer for quite some time.

His friends has been insisting that he drop the act and be honest with himself since they've unpacked his feelings for Anya Forger. Ewen and Emile were pointing out his tendency to cover up through denial and escapism. They've been prodding him to try this and that but due to his duties, there had been zero development. Wait, maybe a little — for his mettle to confess (which used to be non-existent) has gotten up to a certain degree, thanks to their persistence. Albeit only psychologically, that's still progress. Good thing that the amount of work that's being dumped on him finally began to subside.

But while he was working his ass off, Damian's trusty wingmen really took their bossman's lovelife seriously. They even made a name — "Operation Damianya" — to refer to this very important mission. In this, they brainstormed all the possible ways Damian could further ignite his budding romance with Anya. He should take her to that new restaurant in town, they thought. Or bring her to a movie, preferably action ones. Bondman would be best. Give her a tub of world class peanuts, her favorite. And hand her a bouquet of flowers too — all red to scream ROMANTIC! They would report their advice at night while they rested at the dormitory. Of course, the embarrassed Damian had refused all those, saying it's too much, to Emile and Ewen's dismay.

"If you don't want to do this much, at least hang out with her," Emile told Damian.

"Yeah! You've been so distant I truly wonder if that story of yours about you being friends or that 'almost kiss' is even true," Ewen added.

"It's true, okay?!" Damian replied.

And you two are right.

Confess: 51%
Stay away: 49%

~~~~~

One fateful afternoon, Emile came running to fetch his bewildered friends.

"What?!" Ewen asked.

"It think there's a confession going on!" he declared as he took his two friends by their shirts.

Damian was a bit annoyed. "The hell I care!" Why is he being dragged along?

Emile stopped and prompted them to be silent. They all crouched nearby behind one of the lockers, eavesdropping at the two figures a few meters away. Their voices echoed in the hallway.

"Yeah! Professor Henderson totally lost it when I hit the ball! He said it was elegant," Anya said chuckling.

Damian's eyes widened.

"Well, I saw how you did it, being the one at the other side of the net. And you, uhm, really were." Bill said.

"Oh, I don't know about that," Anya replied.

"Whew, he likes her," Emile whispered.

"Totally," Ewen agreed. Damian grimaced.

"Uh... Actually, are you free on Saturday? I'd like to invite you to dinner— just you and I."

"I am not sure. I think my father's planning something this weekend."

"Okay, but uh, if you would be available, just let me know tomorrow. I would love it if we could catch up properly, you know. My treat, of course," Bill said shyly.