Critical Hit

This is one of Anya Forger's favorite activities — patrolling the streets of Berlint.

The young lady can now fearlessly go around town in her Eden uniform. Before, dark-minded people would try to prey on rich-looking citizens (herself included), dragging them to alleys and harassing them to get their money or their expensive belongings. But because of her, these goons have refrained from doing stupid things — at least that's what her father told her.

Anya loves the fact that she was the instrument for peace although no one knew. The thought of being a secret hero just like her spy father and assassin mother makes her so proud of herself.

Anya continued to cover the cobblestones with her tracks. She observed everything in her surroundings — peaceful greens in parks she passed by, happy chatting of some random strangers, cheerful kids playing in the playground. Until yesterday, it was her fail-safe source of relief from her worries. Today, however, she housed a very troubled mind that even that couldn't comfort.

How come Damian Desmond, the stuck up arrogant rich kid who had chosen to be mean more often than not, agreed to be friends with her? Why did he help her out with the spill on her uniform and acted rather protective of her? Why did he stay to teach her for the quiz? He could just have frisked himself away while laughing his ass off and mocking her like he used to. But not once did he turn his back on her today.

The craziest of course was when he tried to kiss her. Like... SERIOUSLY???

Her heart thumped wildly. There was a clear blush on his face, his ears red. But it can't be, right?

If only she could read him like an open book all the time. Blame it to that moss-head whose mind, whenever she tried to read while he stared at her, is either a jumble of non sensical words or a blank screen of nothingness.

Becky has always told her about romance but she never had been in one. She had listened to all of her ramblings about only allowing someone she loves and trusts to touch and kiss her. All the while, Anya secretly scoffed at her best friend for not doing what she preached, having been a fling to many guys in their campus.

Anya — she's never had her first kiss. Not that she never wanted. The opportunity just never came. Maybe because of the environment she's in? Wait, actually, Ken asked her out. He said he's never forgotten her since that day she saved her from drowning. Yeah, he seems sincere and decent enough to deserve her. Plus, he's also a commoner like her so she'll not be treated like some iffy germ. It's more believable and feasible than her being kissed by a certain scion.

Anya continued to trod absentmindedly, her body in autopilot. Her mind was a mess that is trying to get back her normal self back desperately. She looked up to notice how Berlint surrendered itself under the sunset's glory — whatever color it donned was replaced with gold once the sun landed its rays. It was much like the dominance she experienced in a drowning sea of golden hazel irises.

It should be uncharacteristic of him but, for some reason, it felt like his genuine self, his self-restraint foregone the moment he felt a lack of resistance. And weirdly, it made her happy. She wanted it. She even held his cheek to prompt him to continue.

Why not? Her first kiss being Sy-on boy isn't so bad.

If only they weren't interrupted.

~~~~~

The sun was almost down when Anya reached the red telephone booth. After she picked up the handset and dialed, the floor descended meters beneath the ground. Anya stood still, unfazed. Soon enough, the wall on her right became a hallway with bright lights that illuminated a path to the end of the hall — her final destination.

Anya took the door to her left. She splashed water on her face to cool her warm, red cheeks. She hung her Eden uniform then changed into her black clothes and boots. She then fixed herself carefully in the mirror, tapping her cheeks lightly.

Alright. Time to focus.

She hurried to the door at the end of the hallway to face her feisty superior who was waiting for her in agitation.

"Good evening," Anya greeted.

"You're five minutes late," the woman in black replied. It's evening but she still wore a black hat on her head. Her long red hair with light waves framed her face.

"I apologize."

"Better not be late next time, Starlight. Report."

"Yes. I had to stay until I successfully avoided a bolt. There were no suspicious men in campus for the past week."

"Very well. But don't mistake your reports — Operation Strix is the most important," Sylvia Sherwood pointed out as she stood. "Get ready." Anya immediately took on a defensive stance. Sylvia Sherwood dashed to hit Anya without warning. The latter slid to dodge, moving to restrain her superior from behind, but to no avail.

"Hm. That was a good kick."

"Wait till I land you a punch!"

While it varies, this is how her no-Bondman-show evenings had been ever since Anya Forger aka Starlight turned 15 (14). Since then, she's in-charge of giving updates in relation to Operation Strix. As her practice assignment, she serves as a spy to monitor the safety situation in Eden.

After about an hour of fighting and bruises, Starlight shifts to the firing range, her most favorite part of the training, to practice with guns. But unlike when her body is active, the stillness that was required for a marksman puts her mind on high gear to an earlier memory...

"Your aim is off, Starlight," Sylvia pointed out.

"I'm exhausted. School was heavy," she excused.

Sylvia scoffed at her. "When your life is in danger? It doesn't matter. Away with the petty excuses. Show me one critical hit and you can have your precious rest."

"Okay!"

BAM!

"Starlight!" Sylvia shouted.

She completely missed the target. How is she supposed to focus with all these information flooding her head?

Pull yourself together, Anya Forger.

Anya took a deep breath and moved her feet a little wider. She stretched her legs a bit to cue herself to relax, before going back to position. She held the pistol on her right and supported it with her left hand.

If he likes me, will he be able to accept this part of herself?

"Forger."

Huh? Sy-on boy?

"Anya Forger! Aim properly!"

She shook her head then squinted at her target. Now she hears that handsome arrogant bastard even. Great.

BAM!

Anya's gaze fell at the target, her eyes wide. A hand landed on her back that made her turn.

"Anya, let's go home," said a warm voice.

"Papa!"

Loid nodded, then look to his right. "Handler?"

"She's cleared." Sylvia Sherwood said then left.

Anya jumped happily at the relief of being able go home. Oh how she yearns to drop her tired body and mind on her soft, sweet bed!

"Good work, Anya." Loid opened the door for them, leading her back to the bright hallway. "Let's process what happened so you can learn from your experience. Your aim was off at first, but you eventually made a clean hit. What helped you aim well?" asked Loid.

Anya froze.

"Forger."

Oh yeah... Th-that voice...

"Anya?" Loid asked.

"I-I don't know, Papa! I can't think clearly! I should get changed and eat!"

Anya dashed to the changing room leaving her father confused. She shut the door rather forcefully, the thundering against her rib cage back and her face tomato red in the mirror.

~~~~~