5: The shape-shifter

[TW: homophobia and abuse from "You're what?! ..." to '... Then there was quiet.']

It was a bright afternoon, spring was slowly ending, summer was just around the corner. Today just seemed like an ordinary day.

"You're what?! This is why I love your brother more. He's not a stupid fuck up like you Virgil!" A shrill voice from inside the little house at the end of Pogtopia Street yelled.

"I will not have one of them gays in my house." Another voice said, this one was clearly a straight man's voice. Then there was violence and strings of loud slurs and homophobia.

"Get out of my house you disgraceful monster!" The voice yelled again. Then there was quiet.

Virgil WasTaken was a child of only 13, he had just come out to his parents as queer. As you can see, that didn't go too well.

So now he was on the street, with nothing but a small full backpack and the clothes on his back. This was horrible. Virgil sat down in the corner of the back alley leading from Pogtopia Street to L'manburg Road, wondering what to do next.

"Hey, you ok?" Remus De'lecour, one of Mama Q's biological children (from his previous marriage), asked as it sat next to Virgil, who just shrugged.

"I dunno, not really, just got kicked out, got nowhere to go." He responded, still looking at the ground.

"I know a place you can go!" Remus got up and picked up the young shape-shifter.

"What?" Virgil was understandably confused and slightly worried.

"Let's go!" Remus jumped up slightly and glided through the air to Mama Q's 'orphanage', being a swan really made travel rather quick.