13: the brothers

{Please keep in mind that this is just fiction, not my viewpoints or the viewpoints of anyone I know. Also [TW: manipulation?, shouting, arguments, abuse?, a lot of swearing, crying?]- if any of this might trigger you feel free to skip to the end of the chapter I will put a summary.}

It was a cold winter morning, there was frost everywhere, on the grass, the windows, and the paths. Festive music could be heard faintly from inside each shop, the winter air tasted spiky and cold, and the smell of cinnamon and pine filled the streets.

"Happy 18th birthday son." A man spoke, "Get your shit and leave."

"WHAT?" Dream WasTaken shouted in shock.

"You heard me, young man. You're 18 now, you're an adult, you should live in your own house." The man, Dream's father, responded.

"You didn't tell me about that?" The shape-shifter looked back and forth between his parents.

"Because it's common sense, adults don't live with their parents." A woman , Dream's mother, stated.

"Exactly. Now get packing, I want you out of this house before noon." The man commanded.

"Ok, fine, I'll go get my stuff." And so Dream went to get his things.

***

Dream was about to leave the house, "Before I go, I have three things to say." He looked at his parents, "You two are horrible parents, I never liked this house, and I'm gay." And before they could respond, Dream left the house, closing the door behind him. Both parents just stood there in shock for a few seconds.

As the shape-shifter walked through L'Manburg he realised that he had nowhere to go. So he walked a bit more, into the centre of town. That's where he saw a flyer for 'Mama Q's Orphanage For The Abandoned', and after reading the fine print decided to visit the place.

When he got there Mama Q was at the desk, they did a brief introduction and Mama Q arranged the housing arrangements for Dream.

"So, what did you say your last name was again? It sounded familiar." the duck hybrid asked.

"WasTaken." Dream replied.

"Ah, right, uh, you have a brother, no? A younger one?" Quackity queried.

"Yeah, his name is Virgil, why?" The shape-shifter was confused.

"That makes sense." Mama Q nodded.

Dream chose to not question that any further and went to put away his things.

[About an hour later, when Dream had settled in]

Virgil was sat in the corner of the main area/ common room, drawing. When Dream entered, they obviously didn't notice him.

"Virgil?" The older shape-shifter asked when he saw his younger brother.

The younger one looked up "Dream!" They ran over to him and hugged him for a second. "You fucking idiot, I missed you!"

"Well, I don't really know what you expected me to do, I had to calm down mum and dad." Dream replied nonchalantly.

"Ok, but you could've tried to find me afterwards," they seemed mad, "you didn't even bother looking for me."

"Because I never had the time! I was busy making sure mum and dad didn't fucking die!" he raised his voice.

"You didn't even like them! They were horrible! Why would you put their lives above your own brother's?" Virgil interrogated.

"Well, at least they had money!" Dream argued, "You were fucking useless!" He raised his hand, seemingly about to hit Virgil, he continued to shout at the younger one. Virgil flinched back when he first raised his hand, afterwards they started to back up slowly avoiding eye contact.

"LOOK AT ME WHEN I FUCKING TALK TO YOU." Dream snapped and slapped Virgil.

The young shape-shifter started to tear up. The older one stumbled back and put his hand down, "Shit. I'm so sorry Virgil, I didn't mean to hit you, I just got really angry. I'm sorry!" Dream started to apologise profusely.

"Save it. I don't fucking care. Leave me alone, you fucking monster." Virgil went to their room. Dream was disheartened greatly.

"Damn, you messed up big time dude." Remy spoke before sipping his iced coffee.

"How long have you been listening?" The shape-shifter asked.

"Long enough to be able to tell that sorry won't fix this situation." she replied, before walking off.

"Fuck." Dream mumbled.

He really shouldn't be surprised, he was being a bitch, he deserved that.̶(̶H̶a̶s̶ ̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶o̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶g̶e̶r̶ ̶i̶s̶s̶u̶e̶s̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶?̶)̶

Yeah, probably, I don't fucking know.

(̶S̶o̶ ̶i̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶k̶i̶n̶d̶a̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶f̶a̶u̶l̶t̶ ̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶)̶

Whatever.

(̶D̶o̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶e̶l̶s̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶a̶y̶?̶)̶

Bitch.

(̶A̶w̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶c̶u̶t̶e̶ ̶a̶t̶t̶e̶m̶p̶t̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶s̶u̶l̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶m̶e̶,̶ ̶b̶i̶t̶c̶h̶ ̶b̶o̶y̶.̶)̶

Shut the fuck up.

(̶O̶r̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶?̶ ̶W̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶d̶o̶?̶)̶

I don't know yet.

(̶H̶a̶,̶ ̶b̶i̶t̶c̶h̶ ̶b̶o̶y̶.̶)̶

You've already said that! Shut up!

(̶A̶w̶,̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶l̶i̶t̶t̶l̶e̶ ̶b̶i̶t̶c̶h̶ ̶b̶o̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶g̶y̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶m̶e̶?̶ ̶A̶d̶o̶r̶a̶b̶l̶e̶.̶)̶

Shut up! Bitch.

Really? In front of the readers again? Is this going to be a regular thing?

(̶M̶a̶y̶b̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶s̶u̶c̶h̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶a̶n̶n̶o̶y̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶b̶i̶t̶c̶h̶ ̶b̶o̶y̶.̶)̶

Or if you weren't such a bitch.

Ok, quiet time, both of you. Sorry reader, they're just like this, couple argument, y'know.

{Summary/ TLDR: Dream's 18th birthday, he gets kicked out because he an adult now, he walks around a bit before going to 'Mama Q's Orphanage For The Abandoned', he gets settled in, he and Virgil reunite and get into an argument, Dream ends up slapping Virgil who then goes to his room crying.}