Chapter 1

"So prom?"
"What about it?"
"Wanna go?"
"With you? I suppose."

"I'd hope since I'm your boyfriend. "

I playfully nudged Marco's arm. "Do I gotta get those pointy heels that hurt my feet?"

"No, because then you'll be taller than me!"

"I am taller than you without them! Want to come over for dinner?"

"To your grandparents' house or one of your half-brothers?"

"My Grandparents'. My mimzy loves having you over."

Marco closed his eyes. I do love your Grandpa's grilled cheeses. But I'm going to have to pass. Marco pulled his phone out. I gotta work on mine and Bennett's Biology project. You know Sister Fields' class is kicking my ass!"

I rolled my eyes at Marco. He could be so dramatic at times. "Alright," I responded. I began walking away, and Marco grabbed my hand. "But why don't we meet up at The Wormhole to study, afterwards."

"I can't. Curfew"

Marco pulled me close to him. "Murph, what is with the Halstead boys and the curfews?"

"You know they just want me to be safe."
I kissed him softly, as my phone buzzed. "Gotta go!" I explained, getting on the train.

"Text me when you get home, so I know you're safe," Marco called.

"I will!"

I watched Marco fade away, as the train started heading away from De La Salle to my Mimzy's house in Oak Park. I used to make this trip everyday, twice a day. But when my grandparents started getting older, they needed to release guardianship of me. But we still kept our Thursday night dinners. And my grandparents still kept a bed open for me to sleep in.

I didn't meet my father, Pat Halstead, until my mother's funeral, 5 years ago. He and my Grandparents kept in touch after the funeral, and in turn, I spent more time with Pat, Jay, and Will. My mom and Pat's affair was a quick one in 2007. But it lasted long enough to conceive me. My mom didn't tell me much about my father. In fact, she didn't tell me much about anything. She spent my formative years struggling and succumbing to her own demons. It was my grandparents who raised me.

But my grandparents didn't want me to be alone. They were getting older, and wanted me to have a family. So when my mom wasn't around anymore, and Pat Halstead wasn't around anymore, me, Jay, and Will- we became thick as thieves. My badass older half-brothers. It was dope.

Will and Jay gained Guardianship of me when I turned 16. Marco and I had an off again on again high school relationship, and me living with my newfound brothers was a change of pace for him.

I was welcomed into my grandparents' home by the sweet smell of tomato soup, and a big hug from my Mimzy. Her sweater smelled of incense, which suggested a recent church visit.

"Marco couldn't join?" My Grandpa asked.

"Homework," I responded.

"And you. How are your studies," Mimzy inquired.

"Going well," I responded.

"Any college decision yet?"

"No. Not yet."

"Well take time with your decision Murphy," Mimzy cautioned. "Your mom didn't and I think-" she shook her head.

I nodded in response. " I need to be heading out, so I can make curfew." I got up, bidding my grandparents goodbye, and made my way to Will's.

——————-

"How's your day, Murph?" Will asked.

"It was fine, and your day?"

"Busy. Just how I like it."

"Ah and how many fights did you get in with your Fiancé, today?"

"Can it, Murphy."

I laughed.

"Too many," Natalie exclaimed, coming out of the kitchen.

"Yeah so don't push me. Is your homework done?"

"Yes Dad," I replied; earning a feigned look of offense from Will. "Ok well bedtime."

I got up from the couch as my phone illuminated a blue glow. Will eyed it for a moment.

"Tell the boyfriend I say, hello" Natalie said.

"Marco," Will added.

"Ah yes! Marco. How come I haven't met him yet?"

"Because Will hasn't formally met him yet," I shrugged.

"Why?" Natalie questioned.

"He couldn't make it, when we went out to dinner a few months ago."

"Mhmm?" Nat hummed.

"I was working," Will held his hands up in defense.

"Well why don't we all go out somewhere tomorrow night?"

"I work tomorrow,"Will said. "And so does Murph, and so do you Natalie, for that matter!"

"True!" I responded.

"Well What about Saturday night?" Natalie asked.

"Sure," I shrugged, calling the bluff.

"You know what let's do it!" Will responded.

"I look forward to it, Doc." I stated rolling my eyes, just as I did to Marco before.

"You two are very much related," Natalie observed.