underwater

-;♡˳-; ૢ✧∘*゚•┈୨♡୧┈•゚。-;♡˳-; ૢ✧∘

Lo'ak's POV

"These are Ilu." Ao'nung explained. A majestic what I considered water-banshee swam happily around him. "If you want to live here, you have to ride."

"You aren't getting it first try." Y/N added, but I so desperately wanted to impress her. Maybe I would, if I got it first try.

"It's nothing to be worried about." Tsireya reminded. I couldn't help noticing how she was staring at Neteyam, and how my brother was staring at her.

Ooooh, someone's got a little crush. I thought with a smirk. Then I gazed at Y/N, wanting so badly to have her notice me. But I do, too. Y/N. Even her name is beautiful.

Her head suddenly snapped towards me. I blinked, surprised, then focused on my Ilu. Metkayinas can't read minds. Right?

Y/N's POV

Did I hear what I think? A moment before, I felt a sudden wave of energy—a different kind of energy—radiating off of Lo'ak. It was powerful. And he had been staring at me. This is possibly a sign of how badly he wants to murder me. That, or something much worse. He has a crush on me.

Which was impossible, obviously. He was actually probably looking at Tsireya. Though seeing her and Neteyam's chemistry, he had competition.

"You're sure you can handle him?" my sister asked me skeptically. She looked Lo'ak up and down. I sighed.

"It's alright, Reya."

"How do you do this?" Lo'ak asked. He was clearly trying to look like he knew what he was doing, and failing.

"Make the bond gently." I told him. He fumbled for his neural tendril. I rolled my eyes.

"You can't make tsaheylu staring at me, forest boy. Look at your Ilu."

I swear I saw him go red as he quickly looked away and connected with the Ilu.

"Feel his breath. Feel his strength."

He took deep breaths, calming himself. I had to admit he looked just a little cute.

"Hold here." I advised, patting the rein for the Ilu.

"Look at his legs." one of Ao'nungs friends teased.

"Hold on!" Ao'nung taunted, snickering with his friends who thought they were so cool but were really just attention-deprived in their own families and desperate to prove themselves with the chief's son to satisfy their own needs of self-love and improve status within the tribe.

Watching Lo'ak doubtfully, I wasn't surprised when he shot forward and couldn't latch on. But the way he was flung off was sending me.

Ao'nung and the others laughed uncontrollably. Even Tsireya put her hand over her mouth, giggling slightly. It was pretty amusing. I was having trouble not joining in.

His Ilu shrieked at him unhappily before diving away, dumping water on his face.

"Ho-oh!" "Hahaha!" "You alright, forest boy?" were all things the boys called.

"That wasn't bad for a first attempt, bro." Neteyam joked once he'd swam back. Lo'ak groaned and splashed his brother. "You try, Neteyam. Go on! It's not as easy as it looks!"

‧˚₊꒷꒦︶︶︶︶︶꒷꒦︶︶︶︶︶꒦꒷‧₊˚⊹

"Sister, I feel like I am hogging all the teaching experiences for our newcomers." Tsireya admitted to me. "I am being a bad sister. I am setting a bad example. I should welcome you more."