payakan

Lo'ak's POV

It was kinda hard to believe the girl I was crushing on was like Eywa personified. No wonder I didn't have a chance. Sure, she was pretty and smart, but there really was something about her that was different. Now I knew what it was.

It must be hard for her, having to hide her powers. I thought. Last night, she showed me what she could do, and it was crazy. Crazy cool, but she didn't seem in the mood to talk about it more. Plus, I still had other worries on mind, like the Tulkun who saved me from that akula. But I still had one last question for Y/N in the morning.

"Why didn't you save me?"

If she could move water and talk to animals, she could've, right?

"I could've helped." she admitted. "But there was a sign."

"What sign?"

"From Eywa."

"Oh. What did she say?"

Y/N bit her lip uncertainly, then shook her head. "Don't worry about it."

I moved closer to her. "Don't you think I should know?"

She glanced at me, her tail swishing nervously. "Eywa told me to let you go."

"She did? What else did she say?"

"She said you had to journey it alone." Y/N couldn't meet my eye anymore. "She told me she'd protect you. She told me to bring you outside the reef."

"Do you know why?"

She perked up, her ear twitching once with confusion. "I was going to ask you."

This time I looked away, contemplating my life decisions. Should I tell her about the Tulkun I met?

"Eywa did protect me. What you did was the right thing." I told her. She leaned forward suspiciously. "You're not saying this just to make me feel better, right?"

"No, it's true. I didn't tell you earlier, but when I was outside the reef, a—"

"Little bro!" someone shouted suddenly, interrupting me. I scowled. Neteyam.

To make it worse, Kiri, Ao'nung, Rotxo, Tsireya, and Tuk all filed in behind him. Fantastic. The whole squad.

"What are you two doing here together so early in the morning?" Ao'nung snapped. Y/N stood up immediately, rolling her eyes. She looked embarrassed, though. "Relax, knucklehead. We were just talking."

The others sat down except for Ao'nung, who listened while leaning on a tree.

"Well?" he prompted. Everyone stared up at me expectantly, so with a sigh, I sat down and began explaining.

After I told them a Tulkun saved me, Kiri was wowed. "Wow. I wish I could've been there! The ocean blessed you with a gift, brother."

"The Tulkun have not returned yet." Ao'nung cut in. Everyone exchanged confused glances. "And anyway, no Tulkun is ever alone."

Neteyam scratched his head. I looked around me, finding the right words to explain. "Well, this one was. He had a- uh- a missing fin. Just a stump, on the left side."

I was talking directly to Y/N now. Curiously, she put her palm on my forehead, and closed her eyes. Everyone watched in anticipation. Her expression morphed into understanding as she opened them again.

"Payakan. It's Payakan."

Tsireya looked between us urgently. "You're sure?"

"I feel him in Lo'ak." She stared me in the eye. "He's the Tulkun I can't communicate with."