Prologue

A hush fell over them. 

"We need a living member again," declared their leader, the one in the fine white gown. Her dark hair swished against her brown skin as she turned entreatingly to each of them. "The books have been discovered again, we all felt it. And the man is of ambition. We are in danger."

Some of the newer ones looked scared. They had not known the terror, the fear, the awful anticipation of their demise. 

"We must move close to someone who can stop him. I know this means being near him as well, but it must be done. Otherwise we will be found, like we almost were last time."

The others nodded in agreement. 

"The man is on an estate in Western Europe. He is of noble blood," said another one. "At least, it is my strong suspicion that it is him. I felt the presence of the books in his home stronger than anywhere else."

"Then that is where we shall go," decided their leader. "Was there any abandoned place nearby?"

"A completely abandoned palace on the neighbouring property," said the other one. She hesitated, her breath held in her throat.

"What is it?" pressed their leader.

"There are a couple of options for living members. His sister, and the daughter of a duke who resides on the property with the palace. They are both of noble blood, which qualifies both of them, but I personally think the one on the property with the palace would be a better fit."

"Then we must hope she is willing to help us," their leader said. "Perhaps we can manage to turn her against the man. Perhaps they know each other and like each other. We could stage a betrayal, perhaps? Or if we are fortunate, she already dislikes him... but it is our sole hope." She looked up at the star-sprinkled sky glittering down through the roofless ruin. "We must go now," she declared to all the others listening. She turned to the other member. "Lead the way, please."

She nodded, and soon, where a gathering of young women had stood, there was only still night air and crumbling ruins.