Chapter Six

Emilie spotted Angelina sitting on a bench surrounded by flowerbeds, her mother and another lady across from her. Angelina wasn't talking, just smiling and nodding. Would now be the best time to try and strike up a conversation with her? She seemed a bit disengaged.

Emilie greatly respected Angelina. She was so accomplished, so talented and sure of what she was doing. Yes, she was a bit standoffish and maybe a tiny bit vain. But she made her own way and was someone to be admired, Emile thought. So many times Emilie had found herself desiring some of Angelina's traits. But Emilie was always the sweet, passive one, hard working but talentless, liked by people for her supine personality.

For so long now, she had desired Angelina's friendship. But she didn't think Angelina liked her very much. She wanted to change this.

She stood up decidedly and walked over to the bench where Angelina sat.

"Good morning, Angelina," Emilie said. "May I sit with you?"

Angelina nodded curtly and shuffled to the side a bit. They sat in silence in the warm sun for a minute before Emilie became too uncomfortable and felt she must break the silence.

"All the flowers are so lovely. The pansies - so full of colour, don't you think?"

Angelina nodded. "The flowers are quite impressive."

"Do you have a favourite flower?" pressed on Emilie.

"Well, I like roses and lilies," replied Angelina. "Do you have a favourite?"

Angelina still sounded standoffish, Emilie thought, but asking her questions about herself? It was progress, surely.

"I like daisies a lot, and roses are very pretty," answered Emilie eagerly.

"Daisies would suit you," said Angelina carefully. She plucked one from next to her and gave it to Emilie.

Emilie was all delight. This resembled a gesture of friendship, did it not? But Angelina's silence from thereon quelled Emilie's hope.

"I like your dress," said Emilie, determined to keep trying. "Such a wonderful colour. You blend in perfectly with the flowers. Edward told me in this teal dress I would look out of place. I thought he was just being mean at the time, he's been a bit cold lately. But I think he was right. This colour seems a bit vibrant in amongst all these soft pinks and yellows." 

Angelina seemed to become a tiny bit more attentive. "I wonder what could be making him so cold," she said with an absentminded air.

"Oh, I don't know really. He's stayed in his study a lot recently, with all these old books. Some are almost as big as the table and others as small as my hand. There's scrolls as well. I'm not really supposed to know this, he got a bit angry when I tried to talk to him and see them. I suppose he's found something else to research that he thinks is inappropriate for me. I don't really know," Emilie sighed bitterly. "But don't worry, I'm sure it's not the engagement he's upset over. He is quite delighted at the prospect," Emilie informed Angelina, who now seemed to be properly listening. Her eyes went dark when Emilie spoke the last sentences.

"If only the feeling was mutual," said Angelina bitterly.

Emilie wasn't quite sure what to say to that. Yes, Edward could be difficult. She admitted that entirely. It was almost as if she loved him out of obligation alone. She did look forward to having Angelina as her sister, but it was obvious that Angelina desperately didn't want this and would be terribly unhappy married to Edward.

"How old do you think the books are?" asked Angelina suddenly, breaking the silence.

"Oh... I'm not really sure... quite old. I didn't get a proper look at them, really," Emilie answered, surprised at Angelina's interest in some random books.

Angelina didn't say anything, just furrowed her brow. It looked almost as if she had remembered something, or was trying to remember something. Well, Angelina was incredibly well read. If one had so much information in their brain, it must be hard to recall it all sometimes.

"Are you looking forward to the summer?" asked Emilie, changing the subject.

"Yes, I suppose it will be nice. We might have Theodore Schwartzenblum to stay with us for a bit. Hopefully I'll be able to go to the theatre or a concert at some point. And I'm sure there'll be plenty of balls and parties to go to," was Angelina's reply.

"Oh, yes, I would love it if there was to be a midsummer ball this year. Perhaps at our estate, although our ballroom is a bit small," Emilie said happily. Dancing was something she did do reasonably well.

"I'll see if I can convince my parents to hold a midsummer ball," said Angelina with a small, polite smile.

"Oh, wonderful! Of course, I don't know your parents as well as you do, but I dare say it won't take too much to get them to agree," Emilie said happily.

"You're probably right," said Angelina.

Emilie was pleased at their growing acquaintance and kept talking, about music, flowers, parties, summer, the Schwartzenblums, the latest fashions. She observed Angelina's face as she nodded and gave little smiles. She was still closed up, but was less standoffish. This was progress, certainly. Emilie left the party quite satisfied.