Chapter Two

Angelina stopped in the orchard and collapsed, leaning against a tree and observing the almost-ripe peaches that hung from the branches, nestled among fresh green leaves. She sighed and closed her eyes.

She could not be stuck with Edward Allard for the rest of her life. The thought of being Angelina Allard was repulsive.

She realised her father must be angry right now and it would be easier to deal with his wrath if she was fired on some fury as well. She pushed herself off the grass and went back inside to find her father pacing in the drawing room. At the sight of his daughter the Duke made a terrifying sound in his throat before walking over and reprimanding her.

"What was that about? Why would you do such a thing? He made you a very reasonable offer. What part about your marriage won't be beneficial?"

"Oh, I'm not sure, let me think... perhaps the part where I hate him with all my heart and if I marry him I will be unhappy and suffer for the rest of my life!" she shouted back.

"If you marry him? The proper word is when. You will be married. Perhaps being a wife, especially of such a worthy man, will put some sense into you," spat her father, eyeing her with disgust. "Tomorrow we are going to pay a visit to the Allards'. You are going to make an apology and we will tour the house to see what it will be like for you to be his wife."

"I refuse to go," said Angelina immediately.

"No, Angelina. You must come with us. Otherwise I will forbid you from going out or having any company besides the Allards until you are married."

Angelina's breath caught. She couldn't live like that. There was currently no one in her vicinity with whom she enjoyed spending time. "Fine. I will go," she hissed and she spun and marched from the room.

The next morning was windy, with scattered clouds constantly moving. The brisk air gave the feeling of autumn, not the beginning of summer. Angelina dressed in a simple gown and sulkily ate breakfast with her parents.

Duke Valliant was quite cheerful. "My dear Angelina. You'll be able to properly see all of their house. Perhaps choose a room for your own use, look at their library, try their instrument. Perhaps you could get on better terms with your finance as well," he said.

Angelina's fingers clenched around her fork. She glared at the water jug and said nothing.

"You'll have such a lovely friend in Emilie, my darling," gushed the Duchess. "I'm always so worried that you're lonely here, with so little company. But you'll be near each other and become so close, I am sure. Though I suppose she will eventually marry. By then perhaps you will have children to keep you occupied."

Angelina wasn't sure which was worse – being the special friend of Emilie Allard or having children to look after – Edward's children, at that. She was still determined to succumb to neither fate. She just needed to formulate a good plan.

All three of them soon left in an open carriage. The breeze swept through their clothes and hair; something to fill the silence. Her mother's pleasant expression and her father's smug one made a stark contrast to Angelina's stormy face.

They arrived and were greeted and led into the sitting room. The house, which Angelina had only been in a few times before, and then only the dining and sitting rooms, was an inferior size to her family's residence, the grounds not nearly so interesting, with a small orchard, a few flower beds, a gravel drive and no hint of forest of woodland whatsoever. Angelina kept her stormy expression as the adults and Edward and Emilie chattered.

"Perhaps your darling Emilie will give Angelina a tour of the house? They will be sisters soon, of course, it might be a nice thing for them to do together today," suggested Duchess Valliant sweetly.