Chapter One

Angelina tinkled out the final notes of the minuet and looked up at her father, who sat on a silken chair by the window.

"Good, that will do nicely, Angelina. Duke and Duchess Allard will enjoy that, as will their son, I expect," he decided.

"Oh... he's coming as well?" scowled Angelina. She couldn't bear the son, Edward. Never before had she met a person with such a serious case of thinking himself entitled to everything. That was not to mention his nonexistent respect for anyone other than himself.

"Yes, of course he is. I expect you to be polite, Angelina," said her father sternly.

"I'll only be polite if he is as well," she fired back angrily.

Her father gave a disconcerted huff and strode out of the room. Angelina closed the piano lid gently and left a moment later, slamming the door and startling the butler, who scowled at her. She glared back and swept all the way back to her room. She stood at the window and stared out to Duke Allard's manor in the distance. They were, undoubtedly, the worst family in the world, much tarnished by their son, and she had the misfortune of being their neighbour.

She turned from the abhorrent sight and walked to the opposite side of the room to look out of her other window. She could make out roof of abandoned palace extruding from behind the woods, the trees of which were growing their summer leaves. The orchard lay before the woods, and she thought gladly of the fruits which she could pick from the branches in just a few weeks' time. A fine drizzle started and fogged the view, and she fell into her chair. Tonight was going to be trying. Perhaps she should stop showing so much restraint around Edward Allard and accidentally spill her wine on his lap, or pay him a well-cloaked but decipherable insult. If she could make herself seem completely innocent of any wrongdoing, it could prove extremely satisfying.

She took her book from the small table beside her and read until the light grew dimmer. She went and reached for the switch to her lamp before realising that she should cease reading and prepare for the evening. She sighed and lay down her book, pulling her reluctant body from the chair. A moment later the maid came up and knocked on her door.

"Come in, Maria," Angelina called.

Maria entered and went straight to Angelina's cupboard. She extracted a purple gown with beads along the edges, a black shawl and a black hair clip. She combed Angelina's dark brown hair and, after pinning it in an elaborate updo, fixed the clip decoratively to the side. She dabbed a bit of blush on Angelina's cheeks, making sure to not cross the threshold of what Angelina's father deemed 'too much makeup', and gave a smile.

"You look very nice, Miss Angelina," Maria said.

"Thank you, Maria," Angelina smiled. Maria exited the room, shutting the door softly behind her.

Angelina sighed and slumped over her dressing table. In that moment she felt that she'd rather take a long hike through the marshes over greeting the delightful guests. Downstairs, her father was welcoming the visitors, irritated at the absence of his daughter. The mother shot a hasty and worried glance to the staircase as they passed it. So when Angelina eventually willed herself to traipse down the stairs, she got reprimanding from both parents before she sat at her seat. Her mood worsened further when she saw that she'd been placed at Edward's side. At least it would be a convenient place to spill wine on him.

The first course came out. Angelina politely ate her soup and thought about Duchess Allard's horrible fashion sense as the rest of the company droned around her. Edward boasted about how many deer he had killed when they last went hunting, and Duke Allard supported his every claim. His sister, Emilie, blushed as Duke Allard boasted about her piano skills.