5

Regretting my whole life, how was I supposed to know that it would happen? Did he know this would happen? What will I tell mother!

After dancing and partying to our heart's desire until father motions for me to come over, "Père, quoi qu'il se passe, tu peux me dire que je suis ta fille, pas ce vase en porcelaine sur une étagère haute." Alex and Susan applaud at my French, but Father doesn't answer me.

All the talk I hear is about the Sante fe ring whatever hell that is. Murphy catches my eye, trapping my gaze like a bird being strangled in its cage.
He licks his lips like he wants something, but Doc blocks him a sigh of relief brushes my face like a breeze in the wind. 

I feel this weight on my shoulders like I know something is going to happen, but I shrug it off as an anxiety attack.

"Billy, I know we'ven't been on the best of terms, but don't you feel like something bad is going to happen?"

He smirks and replies back, "Lori, I don't think anything is going to happen. You're probably still shook up from the fireworks, that's all."  he walks away. And like a vulture, Mclosky swoops in trying to talk with me.

"Jee Miss Tunstall, you're really pretty under this New Year's moon now. If you do me the honor of making a man happy, please accept my proposal of marriage."
He pulled out a box inside lay the sapphire emerald encrusted ring, which must've cost him a little dough.

"Mcloskey, how many times do I have to tell you I will not marry you! Not for if my father was dying or in need of an heir!"
A tear streams down my face as if I had broken a vase or witnessed a shooting of a loved one. Doc notices, shooing McCloskey away, holding me, hiding my face from father so he doesn't see his little girl weeping.

We all get on our horses and carriage, and sadly, I'm stuck on the carrige ride. On the way home to a warm, comfy bed and to mothers portrait until father stops the carriage that wave of fear comes over me again and Billy senses it as well.

The rest of the group rides down the hill like a group of hillbillies Billy stays behind, unsure whether to run off with them or stay. Father tells him, " Go on, boy, will be boys." William extends his hand to me, but I'm hesitant about going with him.

I look at father for approval, to which I get and hop off the carriage, and with some help, I'm on the back of the horse waving to Father as we ride off.

3 pov

As Bonnie and Lorraine leave, John senses a fear, not just any old fear he felt death. Murphy men surround the wagon. Lori turns back and screams, "NO! Father!" As the gunmen shot him off the wagon, killing him and the gorgeous horse. The group all ran off into the light of the day.

Lori pov

The next morning

I awoke, not wanting to get up, but fixing breakfast was a part of my schedule, so I got up and changed into my black mourning gown

Not only did I lose my only parent, but I'm officially an orphan with no father and no mother. Yes, you heard right, no mother. My mother, Carolyn Tunstall, died two nights before Father did. My sister's Marvella and Gracie are both dead one died of childbirth the other of typhoid fever.

We all eat up and head to the church to bury Dad.  We all stand as the preacher says a few words and Brewer says a few  if only I could says one thing without feeling valued as a prize.