13

Tw: possible swearing, vulgar language. Maybe slurs 

(Still Chavez's povs)

I found myself feeling guilty for all the shit I'd done to her she's like me orphaned, alone mostly.

"You know a wise person told me once that life is like clay you dig it up and wash it and dry it and moist it all for a simple thing of pottery."

She looks up at me with a small chuckle. "Oh, really I'd like to meet this so-called wise person 'cause that ain't me that's for sure."
I look at her those eyes of stormy Grey and her hair brown as soil the moon brought out her beauty and let me soak it all in.

"Lorraine, you told me that when I first started working at the ranch when we had to put that cow down. Since then and I'll admit it I've been a how do you say,"
My brain starts slowing down trying to find a good word to define my behavior.

"Imbécile describes your shitty behavior. By Jove, I never thought this would be the type of conversation we would have between a Mexican Indian and an English woman."
She chuckles and pulls herself closer to me. I pull her close to me kissing the top of her head slightly chuckling at her response.

She shivers at my touch she glows in the moon I can't stop looking at her.

"Chavez come back and join us at the fire pit you'll freeze!"

I wave him away. Billy just keeps asking until I get up and pull Lori up and go towards the fire pit the little trio looks at her awkwardly but lets her sit with us.

(Back to Lori's pov)

I sit with the rest of the boys clinging to Chavez afraid of moving and ruining the only moment where me and him can get along without either insulting each other or planning to make up and confess fake feelings to one another.

"Chavez don't move you got a girl on your shoulder." Charlie points out that at that point I'm in and out of consciousness.

I close my eyes all is calm the sky is pitch black but something keeps poking at me to stay awake not letting these boys out of my sight I already lost Brewer I can't lose anyone else.

The first to go to sleep was Billy followed by Charlie and Steve leaving just me and Chavez awake sitting by the ashes of the fire. He briefly looks at me then looks away almost blushing.

"You know you can go to sleep right?" Chavez whispers slightly chuckling at my attempt to stay awake.

"No, I'm fine I'm not losing anyone else I already lost Brewer. I'm not letting anything happen." Chavez lowers his head I already know the response.

"Listen, Lorraine, it wasn't your fault."
He looks at me almost staring into my soul with his gaze of concern.
"Only a jackass would say that besides what have you lost?" I say, feeling a sense of wroth climb over me.

He looks at me a glimpse of a tear forms but is wiped away quickly. "I lost everything," he begins to tear up I offer my handkerchief and he takes it cleaning his eyes.

"My mother, my baby sisters, my tribe, and John." Chavez lowers his head putting a hand through his hair trying to comfort himself. I didn't dare complain or dared to argue with him.

"Can I ask you something?" I say curiously looking at him.
"Yes, what is it?" He says his voice breaking almost quivering.

"Can I braid your hair?"