03

03 : Chemistry

[ LEE AREUM ]

"In physical chemistry, an emulsion is a mixture of two or more liquids in which droplets of one are dispersed throughout the others at microscopic or ultramicroscopic sizes..."

I sighed as I spin the pen around my fingers. My eyes are solely focused on the soccer field seen through the glass window of this classroom.

"Stable emulsions can be destroyed by inactivating or destroying the emulsifying agent..."

I sighed once again. So boring. I want to watch the soccer varsity players in their practice game, instead of listening to this boring chemistry class. I should tell my teacher I have a stomachache.

"Ms. Lee."

Or, should I tell her I'm having my menstrual period right now so I have to change napkins?

"Ms. Lee Areum!"

I flinched and immediately turned my head to look in front. The teacher's glaring eyes greeted me. "Yes, Ma'am?"

"A milk is an example of?"

Huh?

"Ah..." I scratched my head. The fuck is a milk?

"Where is your courtesy? I am asking you a question! Stand up!" I could almost see smoke coming out of her nose. I want to laugh out loud, but I don't want to worsen my situation. I looked around and noticed that my classmates were already staring at me seriously.

My eyes stopped at the puppy-looking, four-eyed, handsome nerd. He was staring at me as if I did a very grave sin.

"A milk is an example of what, Ms. Lee?" The teacher asked once again.

Just what milk is she talking about?!

"A milk is an example of... ah..." My eyes wandered around, hoping for an angel to mouth me the answer. However, I just realized that I was placed in the special star section. All of them are geniuses who always stick to their principles.

"A drink?" I answered hesitantly.

I immediately heard small laughters from them. Jake disappointedly shook his head before looking down to his notes. I rolled my eyes. First of all, who the fuck is he to get disappointed of me.

"This is chemistry class for pete's sake, Ms. Lee! And the fact that this was already discussed during your junior years!" The teacher massaged her temples, "Were you listening to my discussion earlier?"

"Uh, no." I bit my tongue and look away.

She exhaled harshly, "A milk is an example of emulsion. What is emulsion? It is a colloidal solution where both dispersed phase and dispersed medium are liquids! Understood?"

I nodded even though I don't. The heck is emulsion? I only know pollution.

"Do you know the reason why you were put in the special star section despite your bad grades, Ms. Lee? It is because we hoped you'd improve, at least! We were hoping that your classmates will influence you to study hard like them!"

I swallowed hard. Here we go again.

"You disappointed us! Soon enough, you will be placed again in the last section if you don't improve. If it isn't because of your influential family—"

"Excuse me, Ma'am. I am sorry to interrupt, but I think your time ended already." I gritted my teeth when I heard a familiar voice. The teacher raised a brow as she looked at her wrist watch. She then nodded.

"Thank you for reminding me, Mr. Sim. Let's continue the discussion next meeting."

I just remained standing. My fists were clenched. I didn't ask anyone to place me in this fucking star section. I was doing great with my classmates before. I hate it here. They all think highly of themselves. So arrogant and proud.

"Ha! A drink, you say? Here, have some." Someone placed a milk box on my table. My fists clenched even more.

"Shut the fuck up, Park." I muttered under my breath.

"Eh? What did I do?" Park Jongseong, who just arrived, sat on the vacant chair in front of my table.

Not you, asshole.

"Sunghoon. What did you do to my cousin again?" Heeseung stated in a playful tone.

"I just gave her a box of milk to calm her down?" Sunghoon shrugged. I grabbed the milk he gave and harshly threw it on his chest. I gave him my deadliest death glare before walking out.

"Oh wow, you're welcome, I guess?" I heard him say. He even had the guts to chuckle. That fucking asshole.

Speaking of asshole, I see another asshole coming.

"The chemistry teacher wants to see you this afternoon. After class." Jake said without a single emotion shown on his face.

"To insult me again?" I stated sarcastically. He just stared at me, as if he doesn't have a plan responding.

"Uh... Jake." Our eyes landed on the girl who interrupted. She was smiling shyly as she handed a document to Jake. "It's the monthly school inspection report."

My lips twitched when I saw how Jake smiled with friendliness. A very different expression he always show to me.

"Thanks, Ayla!"

"Please do review it. I'm not sure if I did it right." Ayla pursed her lips before placing a few strands of her hair behind her ear.

"Alright. Thanks!"

Ayla once again smiled before leaving. Just like a switch that has been swiftly turned off, Jake's smile immediately faded as soon as he eyed me.

"Wow, what was that? Is that the real Jake? Or, the real Jake is the one I am facing right now?" Note the sarcasm.

"Don't forget your meeting with Ms. Ahn later." He sternly said before walking past me.