-thirty one-

Gabe 

Pepper grabbed my chin and turned my whole face to the side a bit too fast, making a sharp pain shoot up the back of my neck. 

"Did you forget to duck or something?" She asked, examining the fresh bruise on the side of my jaw. Yeah, something like that.

After last week when I was basically kidnapped by the Kamikaze's, the worst gang around this area, I came home to a drunk dad and crying sisters. It didn't take much for dad to lose his temper and start fighting me. I got a few good hits in before we were broken up, but so had he.

"Was it your dad again?" Kale asked quietly when Pepper walked away to answer a phone call. 

"What do you think?" I scowled, grabbing a rag that was nearby on the tool bench and trying to wipe the oil from my hands. Kale kept his eyes on me for a while longer before sighing and shaking his head.

"Why don't you ever call the cops on him or something? He can't keep doing this," 

"You think they're going to do anything? Or believe me? He's the top paid weather reporter in town, known very well. The cops wouldn't do anything," I had too much on my mind right now to be having this conversation. I was still trying to process everything that Martez Acacio had said to me. 

Acacio wanted to know why I had been looking around for him. I tried to play it off like it wasn't a big deal, saying something about wanting to know more about the Kamikaze's, that earned me a harsh slap to the face by one of his henchmen. Luckily, they didn't hit as hard as my dad.

"Gabrio?" Kale reached out and shook my shoulder. I must've spaced out again, "What's got you so quiet?"

"Something happened Kale, I think I might be in some deep shit," Kale's gaze darkened as I spoke, sensing the urgency in my voice. 

"What the hell do you mean?" 

"Acacio's men came for me, he asked me a bunch of questions but I didn't tell him anything," I explained quickly, not knowing when Pepper would be coming back. 

"Does he know about Macy?"

"No, I played it off.. Told him I was curious about the rumors I had heard," Kale nodded quietly. 

"Okay, so everything's fine, right?"

"Not exactly," I took a deep breath, "I think he wants me to initiate into the gang," 

"What? You can't do that, you just got out of deep shit with the worthless guys around here," Kale took a seat on one of the rolling chairs by us. 

"I'm aware," 

"Did you tell him about Macy?" 

"No, I already told you that. I'm not that stupid," Before we could talk anymore about the pressing concern, Pepper was walking back over to us, shoving her phone in her pocket. 

"I'm hungry, you guys want to get something to eat?" She asked, looking between Kale and I. 

"I've got work to do, you guys should go though," They didn't put much effort in convincing me, probably wanting as much alone time together as they can. When they finally left I turned back on my music and got back to work, I needed the money from this fix to cover the Christmas gifts I had bought and also send some more money to Aunt Maria. 

After about ten minutes of peace I heard the shop door open and slam against the wall, when I turned to look who it was the blood drained from my face. 

Stalking towards me was none other that Martinez Acacio himself. His pointy and polished shoes clicking against the dirty, oil stained concrete as two men followed close behind him. I stood up straight and paused my music so that all of us could hear better, knowing that this conversation was probably going to be important. 

"Ah young Gabrio," Martinez drawled, a slow grin forming on his face, "Did you miss me?"

"How'd you know?" I should learn when to not be a smart ass, but I guess today isn't that day. Martinez chuckled, stopping to tower over me with his henchmen glaring, hands deep in their pockets. I didn't see any weapons at the ready but I knew they were still there, hidden beneath coats and ready to be used at any moment. 

"I've been thinking about our last conversation Garbio," He reached up and rubbed his chin, looking deep in thought. "I like you, kid. I think you've got guts and although I don't think you've got much goin on up there-" he paused to tap my forehead, "I think you could be an important asset to me," 

"How could I ever help you? I have nothing to offer," The last thing I wanted was to get mixed up with the Kamikaze's, they were known for their brutality and drug peddling. I had worked so hard to get away from this life, for my family, and now I'm right back into it. 

All for what? To help Macy find her long last dad? I pushed the thought away, this wasn't Macy's fault, she had no idea who Martinez really was and clearly neither did I. 

"I think you'd be a. . . valuable tool to my guys, I know how easy it is for you to sell certain, commodities," Martinez grinned at me and my blood chilled. This man vibrated pure evil and I wanted nothing more than to run away from it. 

"I'm starting to think you have a poor judge of character," I muttered. For a moment Martinez stood just staring at me, his eyes nearly black with rage. Suddenly his hand came up and caught the underside of my jaw, whipping me back against the car I had been working on, pain searing through my skull from the impact. I'm starting to get tired of being other people's punching bags. 

"You'd be smart to learn how to speak with me," His eyes glared into me as my head pulsated from the pain, "Don't you want more for yourself? More for your family?"

I didn't say anything as he continued to stare into my soul. 

"Your brother Teo could use some new soccer cleats, and what about Isabel? Working so hard at a dead end, part time job that hardly pays shit, when she should be focused on school or sports," I could feel the color draining from my face as he spoke about each and every one of my siblings, this guy was no joke. He had done his research and for all I knew he had eyes on my whole family right now. 

"And that father of yours, well," He let out a low whistle, "Your mama deserves to get away from that, doesn't she? Deserves her own peace and safety. Don't you want to be able to provide that for your own mother?"

I bit down hard, clenching my jaw and trying my best not to lash out. I see red, only red. This fucker is using my family against me to try and get me to peddle more drugs for him and his gang. 

"I can't help you," I finally muttered out between clenched teeth. Martinez looked down at his shoes, licking his teeth and letting out a long breath before taking a step towards me so our faces were inches apart. I don't scare easily, hell with my father there's not much to be scared of anymore, but this man in front of me scares the shit out of me. 

"We'll see about that Gabrio, I have a feeling you'll need my help just as much as I need yours," Without another word he turned and walked out of the shop with his two henchmen right on his heels. 

It took a few minutes for me to catch my breath and steady my heartbeat. With shaky hands I reached for my tools again to continue working on this damn car. My whole life had just flashed before my eyes and the worst part is, I know this whole situation with Acacio isn't going to be over anytime soon..