-ten-

Macy 

I was already running late! If dad hadn't lost that stupid permission slip for the tour of one of the local community colleges then I would already be at school!

I tore around his office, pushing papers aside and probably ruining my dad's office altogether but right now I just needed to get to school on time.

My wild chase was stopped prematurely when I found papers that seemed even more interesting than the permission slip. 

A huge folder was hiding beneath a stack of papers, the string held the folder together securely. The little tab on the front read "ADOPTION PAPERWORK"

Adoption? But for who? 

Suddenly, with all my blood rushing to my head and my heart beginning to pound against my chest, I was beginning to feel dizzy. Almost nauseous even. I didnt bother opening the folder, I left it out where I found it and hurried out of the office.

I would definitely be talking to dad later.

Right before the bell rang for school to start I slid into my seat next to a curious looking Gabe. He was never in class before me.

"Good morning princess, late start?" Gabe asked, wiggling his eyebrows with me and a wide smile on his face.

"Don't start," I mumbled, trying my best to ignore Gabe but he continued to state from where he sat next to me until I snapped. "What do you want?"

"Anything I can do to make your day better just let me know," Gabe said with a sly smirk before Mrs. Walker began teaching. I didn't bother saying anything back, in fact I ignored Gabe the rest of first period until the bell rang to let us out of class. 

I gathered my things and, despite Gabe calling out my name, hurried out of the classroom as fast as I possibly could. Not fast enough though. Gabe caught up to me in two seconds, grabbing my arm and pulling me to the side of the hall so we wouldn't get trampled by all the students. 

"Are you alright? You seem a bit irritated this morning," Gabe asked, honest sincerity in his voice but the confusion of the adoption papers began boiling in my blood all over again. 

"Just stay out of my business, alright? We're English partners, not friends," I knew what I was saying was harsh and Gabe didn't deserve it but in the moment I couldn't stop myself. Before the embarrassment had a chance to set in from what I had just said, I turned on my heels and made a beeline for the nearest girls bathroom. 

Why did I have to be such a bitch to him? 

"You doing okay today, Mace?" I heard Jasmine asked as she approached one of the sinks in the bathroom to wash her hands. 

"Just a stressful morning is all," I lied, trying to fake a smile and luckily it worked for Jasmine. If Pepper were here, she'd know something was up. 

"I know it's probably hard being Gabe's partner," Jasmine began, shutting off the water, "but I could always try and talk to Danny for you,"

"You'd do that?" I asked, not hiding my skeptical feelings. What would Jasmine even say about me? She would probably tell him some stupid story from two years ago or something. "I have to get to class Jaz, thanks though," 

Jasmine waved and I walked out of the bathroom, making my way towards second period. Maybe Pepper could make this day somewhat better. 

All of the lights in the house were off except for the single light above the kitchen sink. I could hear the TV blaring from the living room where I guarantee dad was passed out again. I should probably wake him up so he could at least sleep in his own bed. As I made my way into the living room my phone began ringing. It was Malia. 

"How's the golden child?" I answered, walking out of the living room and heading up to my room instead. 

"Good. How's the bratty child?" Malia teased back. 

"I'd be better if dad was actually sleeping in his own bed. Have you heard from mom at all?" I kicked off my practice shoes and flopped down on my bed. 

"Actually she took me out to lunch today," Malia's voice was suddenly quieter. 

"What? Mom's at your college?" I sat up straight. Malia was three hours away at university and our parents hardly had the time off to just make a random trip over to see her. 

"It's pretty weird, hang on a sec," I could hear some shuffling noise in the background and a muffled voice before a door closed on the other end. "Mom's been crashing in my bed Mace,"

"What the hell?" My mom had gone all the way to Malia to stay instead of getting a hotel room. Or better yet, making up with dad! "What's going on Malia?"

"Well," Malia could speak more clearly now and I didn't have to strain to hear her anymore, "mom had an affair,"

The blood from my face immediately began to drain, I could feel it. My parents, the two that I looked up to for anything and everything. Their relationship was perfect, ever since the day I could remember they were the perfect couple. 

"I guess it was with an old high school sweetheart. Anyway, dad found out about it and threatened to divorce mom," Malia finished off the story quickly, not bothering with details. 

"How do you know all this? Mom just told you?" 

"Yeah, like I said she's been crashing here for a minute," Malia's relaxed mood frustrated me. Of course mom would tell Malia everything before me. I was always closer to dad anyway. 

"What's going to happen then? Are they getting divorced?"

"I have no idea yet, sis. All I know is that mom's a complete wreck over here," 

"Dad's been drinking himself to sleep every night and sleeping in the living room," 

"No shit," Malia was silent for a long pause. 

"Malia, I need to ask you something," I had to figure this out. "I found adoption papers in dad's office. Do you know anything about those? Why would dad have adoption papers?"

I could hear Malia sigh on the other end and she didn't answer right away, answering my own questions deep down. 

"That's something you'll have to talk to dad about," Was all she replied with. 

"Right,"

"Look, I gotta get back to mom. I'll talk to you soon, love you," She hung up before I could even say goodbye. 

I'll definitely be talking about this with dad.